Ham bean and cabbage soup is the perfect recipe to make with leftover ham from the holidays. This soup healthy, filling and delicious.
I love ham because it is relatively inexpensive and you can stretch it through a variety of meals. One of my favorite ways to eat the leftovers is this ham bean and cabbage soup recip.
It’s loaded with incredible nutrients that are energizing and great for digestion. The soup is incredibly satisfying and filling too. So you’re gonna wanna try this.
Can you use canned beans in this soup?
Yes, you can! Canned beans are inexpensive and work well when you’re short on time. Just make sure you drain and rinse the beans before adding them to the soup.
What beans do you use for ham bean and cabbage soup?
In this recipe, I used navy beans. But I really think you could use any beans you have on hand in your cupboard. Chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, adzuki beans, and lentils would all taste great.
How To Make Ham And Bean Cabbage Soup
I love this soup because it’s loaded with vegetables and it quickly comes together. Chopping the veggies will take about 10 minutes, and the soup will cook for about 30 minutes on the stove.
Here’s what you do:
Sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes in the pot. Add the carrots and celery and cook for a few more minutes.
Add in the rest of the ingredients, including vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes
Lastly, add the cabbage and cook for an additional 15 minutes until it softens. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
How long does ham and bean soup last?
This comforting soup will last up to a week in the fridge, when stored in an airtight container. It’s perfect to eat at lunchtime and dinner.
More Soup Recipes:
- Lentil Tortilla Soup Recipe – loaded with flavor and incredibly easy to make.
- Cauliflower Soup – I love to eat this recipe for my lunches. It’s rich and creamy.
- Kale Lentil Crockpot Soup – toss all the ingredients in the slow cooker for a healthy nutritious soup.
- Carrot Ginger Soup – This soup is sweet with a little spiciness from the ginger. It’s creamy and delicious.
Ham, Bean and Cabbage Soup
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- ½ white onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 3 carrots - chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 1 ½ cups canned navy beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups canned diced tomatoes - drained
- 2 ½ cups cooked ham - chopped into cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 carton chicken broth - 900 ml
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 ½ cups green cabbage - chopped into bite sized pieces
- Heat cooking oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until onions become translucent, then add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the carrots and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add in the cannellini beans, ham, bay leaf, dried thyme, and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat to let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After soup has been cooking 15 minutes, add in the cabbage and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until cabbage has softened. Discard the bay leaf, and serve. Store pour into bowls to serve.