Ok, let’s face it, sometimes preparing for a healthy meal can feel like a lot of work! Whether it’s a gloomy day outside or your day is full of obligations, it isn’t always easy to spend time in the kitchen making healthy meals. For those days, I like to call on my old friend the slow cooker. It’s the lazy/busy/exhausted woman’s best friend.
This recipe is easy. It’s also really nourishing! It uses lots of vegetables, lentils and white beans. And to make things REALLY easy for myself (like I said, super lazy/busy/exhausted), I use frozen squash (that’s already chopped and ready to go), and canned lentils and white beans. This keeps the prep time to a minimum.
You can quickly prep this meal earlier in the day by tossing all ingredients in the slow cooker and then turning it on a few hours before dinner.
Right before you eat, you’ll want to toss in the kale and season with sea salt and ground pepper. I served this soup with warm crisp bread!
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped squash (frozen or fresh)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can lentils
- 1 can white beans
- 1 carton vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Start checking around 3 hours.
- Toss in the kale at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Season with sea salt and ground pepper and serve with crisp warm bread
See more family-friendly recipes on our website: www.andianne.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 785mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 21gSugar: 14gProtein: 20g
Please note: This nutrition information is only an estimate and was created using Nutritionix