Air fryer chicken thighs are one of the easiest ways to cook chicken. They come out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside and are totally delicious.
This recipe will show you an easy way to add flavor using spices to the chicken thighs plus tips and tricks for getting the best air-fried chicken.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
I love to buy a large pack of chicken thighs and pack them into smaller portions for the freezer. It’s one of the easiest ways for me to save money at the grocery store. These thighs use a few simple spices that you probably already have in your pantry. The result is an easy dinner that can be cooked in under 30 minutes!
A Note About Air Fryers
Before we go any further let’s talk about air fryers. If you already have one, you are probably just beginning to realize how amazing this tool can be in your kitchen. You can air fry so many foods to create crispy deliciousness. I have a list of all of my air fryer recipes here to help inspire you.
I have the Ninja Foodi Deluxe – it’s an all-in-one that allows me to use it as an air fryer, instant pot, sear, slow cook, steam and even bake food. I love it because it saves space in my kitchen – no need to have an extra instant pot as this appliance will do it all! If you haven’t purchased an air fryer yet, I highly recommend checking out the Ninja Foodi Deluxe Here.
Air Fryer Chicken Thigh Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make these chicken thighs:
- Chicken Thighs – I’m using five bone-in skin on chicken thighs for this recipe. If you have a larger air fryer, you can add more, but make sure they’re in a single layer for even cooking.
- Spices – This recipe uses simple spices: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cooking Oil – I used melted coconut oil for this recipe, but you could also use grapeseed oil, avocado oil or any cooking oil you have already at home.
How To Cook Chicken Thighs In The Air Fryer
Crispy chicken thighs are so easy to make in the air fryer. Everything including prep time and cook time is all done in less than 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooking oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Add in the chicken thighs and toss them in the seasoning until fully coated.
- Preheat the air fryer for two minutes at 400°F. Then add in the chicken thighs and cook for 12 minutes with skin side facing down. Flip them over using a pair of tongs and cook for another 12-17 minutes, keeping an eye on them in the last couple of minutes so that they don’t burn.
Tips For Perfect Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Preheat your air fryer first. This will give you the best crispy chicken thighs.
- Pat the thighs dry with a paper towel before adding to the bowl of spices. This will remove any excess moisture from the chicken.
- Always flip the chicken halfway through cooking to get an even crispiness. Start with the skin facing down.
- Check the chicken in the last couple of minutes to make sure they’re not overcooking. Every air fryer is different so it might take a little bit of practice getting used to your temperature and how it works. I like to write my cooking times down so I know for next time.
- According to the USDA recommended cooking temperatures, the safest internal temperature for cooking all types of poultry products is 165°F. This is the interior temperature that the meat will read at once removed from the heat source. You can use a food thermometer, which will be poked into the thickest part of the chicken to read the temperature.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes:
Now that you know this recipe, make sure to check out my other easy air fryer recipes. Here are some popular ones to get started with:
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks – These are crispy and another easy way to cook chicken.
- Air Fryer Green Beans – A delicious and simple side dish idea.
- Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes – Honest truth: I will eat a whole bowl of these myself. These are so good!
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – These are so crunchy and remind me of kale chips. I just love them and will actually eat them as a snack! (I know that sounds a little crazy but they’re really that good).
- Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Wings – These taste just like wings from the pub. They’re a big hit with my family.
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Equipment You’ll Need
- Add cooking oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper to a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the chicken thighs and mix with the sauce so that chicken is evenly coated.
- Lightly coat the inside of the air fryer tray or basket with olive oil or cooking spray. Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 2 minutes.
- Place chicken thighs in a single layer in the air fryer. Cook for 12 minutes with the skin side facing down.
- Use a pair of tongs to flip the chicken over. Cook an additional 12-17 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F as an internal temperature when poked with a meat thermometer. Remove from air fryer and serve.