*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Sweet potato beef stew is filled with tender pieces of beef and fresh veggies. All slowly simmered in your crockpot for a delicious, easy meal.
Sweet Potato Beef Stew
I love a good slow cooker stew for busy weeknights and lazy weekends. Why? Because the whole meal can be prepared in the morning, slowly simmered to release all the flavors and tenderness, and ready to feed hungry bellies by dinnertime. Serve with crusty bread and you’re set!
Sweet Potato Beef Stew Ingredients
BEEF CHUCK ROAST – I recently found a good sale on beef roast at the grocery store. The roast I bought was massive, so I cut it all up into small cubes and divided it into three groups for future stews and stir frys.
VEGGIES – I’m using white sweet potato today. But you can also use the traditional orange sweet potato as well.
SEASONINGS – Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme and minced garlic are the main flavors of this recipe.
How To Make Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Beef Stew
- Wash and chop the sweet potatoes, celery, small onion, and carrots. Add to the slow cooker along with frozen corn and diced tomatoes.
- Cut the beef chuck roast into bite-size chunks and add to the slow cooker.
- Add all the seasonings: minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, and salt and pepper. Pour in beef broth and cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 5-7 hours.
- TO THICKEN: In the last 30 minutes, scoop out 1/2 cup of broth into a bowl with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch. Mix everything together until there are no more clumps. Stir back into the slow cooker.
More Recipes To Try
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – served with mashed potatoes for classic comfort food.
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Orange Chicken – Sweet, tangy and full of flavor. Serve it with rice.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup – One of my favorite filling healthy recipes. Full of vegetables and high in protein.
- Kale Lentil Crockpot Soup – Perfect for those vegetarian nights.
- 3 cups chopped sweet potato - white or orange sweet potato works
- 2 celery ribs - chopped
- ½ small onion - peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots - peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can diced tomatoes - drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast - cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 1 carton beef broth - 32 oz
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
Prep All the Ingredients:
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Add 3 cups to the slow cooker.
- Chop celery, small onion, and carrots and add to the slow cooker. Add in frozen corn and drained diced tomatoes.
- Cut the beef chuck roast into bite-size chunks. Pour into slow cooker.
- Add the minced garlic, worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, and beef broth. Generously season everything with salt and pepper. Stir up the stew and add the lid.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 5-7 hours. (I prefer to cook on low for more tender meat)
- THICKEN THE STEW: Once slow cooker has been cooking 7 hours, Take ½ cup of broth from the slow cooker and add to a small bowl. Add in 2 Tbsp cornstarch and whisk together until there are no clumps. Pour back into the slow cooker and mix evenly into the stew. Cook an additional 30 minutes to thicken the stew.