*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
One big goal for my family is to incorporate a lot more meatless meals into our weekly routine. Let’s be honest, good quality meat is expensive! So to be able to eat less of it is nice for the budget. Plus, I love the idea of creating affordable dishes full of grains and vegetables!
This sweet potato taco bowl is great because it’s not only affordable, but full of healthy ingredients, and really really delicious! This yummy bowl is full of color – roasted sweet potato, corn, tomatoes, black beans, and parsley – all on a bed of brown rice. If you’re planning on making this sweet potato taco bowl for dinner, it’s important to do a little prep in advance with your sweet potato, and possibly the rice. This’ll ease the workload come dinner time.
You’ll need to soak the sweet potato first before you start baking them. This will help to release the starch which is the key to getting those crispy potatoes that we all love! They’ll need to soak for at least an hour, so it might be easy to do this step earlier in the day when you’ve got a bit of extra time.
Once the sweet potato has had time to soak, dry them thoroughly with a clean tea towel. The more moisture you remove, the better. This will help with the crispiness!
The avocado dressing is really simple to make! It’s a little different from the version I created for my 6 simple salad dressing recipes post – but just as tasty! In this version, you’ll be using the leftovers from the spice mix you prepared for the sweet potatoes, a ripe avocado, and a little bit of water all mixed in a blender. And voila! A delicious, healthy dressing.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 limes
- handful chopped parsley
SWEET POTATO INSTRUCTIONS:
- Wash, peel and chop the sweet potato. Place in bowl and cover with water. Let soak for at least one hour to help release starch.
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Drain sweet potato and dry thoroughly with a towel. Place back in bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, and cumin. Mix together and then add sea salt and ground pepper.
- Toss two teaspoons of seasoning mixture over sweet potatoes. Mix together. Place potatoes on lined baking sheet. Spread them out evenly, trying to not let them touch each other. Place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes, or until sides are golden brown and sweet potatoes are crispy. While sweet potatoes are in the oven, start cooking the rice (see instructions below)
- Take potatoes out after 20 mins and give them a quick toss, then toss again 20 mins after.
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions
- Once cooked, toss with lime juice and chopped parsley. Set aside.
- Add 1 ripe avocado, water and rest of seasoning mixture to a high-speed blender. Blend for a few seconds until fully combined.
TACO BOWL PREPARATION:
- Add rice to base of serving dish.
- Arrange black beans, corn, and grape tomatoes and sweet potatoes on top of rice layer.
- Drizzle avocado lime dressing on top of everything
- season with sea salt, ground pepper and lime juice. Sprinkle with a little extra chopped cilantro.
- Optional extra toppings: Add salsa, hot sauce, sliced avocados, jalapeno peppers, a few crumbled tortilla chips, or extra limes
See more family-friendly recipes on our website: www.andianne.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 17gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Please note: This nutrition information is only an estimate.
Did you enjoy this post? Share the ❤️ and Pin it to Pinterest!