Farmhouse Sausage Biscuit Muffins
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These farmhouse breakfast biscuit muffins are a labour of love. They’re a breakfast all-in-one that your family will be asking for seconds of. Save these for special occasions or slow weekend mornings because they take longer to make.
What’s inside these muffins? The secret is revealed as you take a bite. Inside you’ll find a tender biscuit, hash browns with egg, sausage, barbecue sauce and cheese. They’re basically heaven.
The process to make them takes time. But it’s worth it. Let me walk you through the steps…
Make the Biscuits:
The first step is to create the biscuit dough. I once had a friend who owns a bakery tell me her secret to a good biscuit or scone. The secret is in the butter texture. You want to cut the butter into small cubes and then use a pastry cutter to have it turn into crumbles as you add it to the dough. I’ve been using this method ever since!
I make my biscuit dough in a large steel bowl. This makes it easy to maneuver as I combine the flour. Then I knead the dough in the bowl as well until it’s combined.
After that, sprinkle some flour onto a clean counter space. Flatten your dough using a rolling pin or the palm of your hand. Shape it into a rectangle, then divide into 12 pieces.
Now you can round the edges and press them into a greased muffin pan.
Make The Sausage:
Take 3 sausages and slice down the sides of them. Remove the outer casing and discard. Then break up the sausage with a spoon or fork and cook in a skillet. Once that’s cooked you can add it to a bowl and mix in the barbecue sauce.
Make The Hash Browns:
Now add the hash browns to the empty skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook until warmed through and sides begin to brown.
In a bowl, beat to eggs with a fork. Pour into the hash browns and cook the same way you would scramble eggs.
While all of this is cooking you can grate the cheese for the next step.
How To Assemble The Muffins:
- Add one spoonful of cooked hash browns with eggs
- Add one spoonful of cooked sausage
- Drizzle extra barbecue sauce on top
- Sprinkle with cheese
The farmhouse breakfast biscuit muffins will take about 20 minutes to bake. Once they’re done you can eat right away.
I recommend freezing extras for next time. Enjoy this recipe friends!
Farmhouse Breakfast Biscuit Muffins
To Make Biscuit Dough:
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter - cut into small cubes
- ¾ cup milk
To Make Sausage Mixture:
- ½ lb sausage, casings removed - or ground beef
- 3 Tbsp barbecue sauce
To Make Hash Brown Mixture:
- ½ cup frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 eggs - beaten
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Plus You'll Need:
- ½ cup grated mozarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Biscuit Dough Instructions: In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the cubed butter to the bowl, and use a pastry blender to cut butter into small crumb-like texture. Add in the milk. Mix until just combined (this is the key to a delicious biscuit).
- Add dough to floured surface, and knead into a round circle. Divide into 12 pieces and press into the bottom of the muffin tins.
- Cook The Sausage: In a skillet over medium-high heat, add a bit of oil and sausage (with casings removed). Drain excess liquids and pour into a bowl. Add the barbecue sauce and mix everything together.
- Cook The Hash browns: Add the hash brown potatoes, butter (or coconut oil), eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook until hash browns are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Assembly Instructions: Add a spoonful of hash brown mixture to the muffin tins that already have biscuit dough inside them. Sprinkle cheese, then add a spoonful of sausage mixture. Sprinkle more cheese on top.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until cheese is melted or until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing.