Ground turkey sweet potato skillet is a recipe that I guarantee you’ll have on repeat for your family. Made with easy ingredients you can find at any grocery store including ground turkey, sweet potato, spices, onion, and mozzarella cheese. This recipe is quick and easy and the perfect healthy dinner in under 30 minutes.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of a dinner recipe that’s healthy, easy to make, and budget-friendly!
As a health coach, I’m always looking for ways to make healthy eating easier for you. And this recipe will do just that. It’s super simple, you can make it in one skillet and your family is going to love it!
Ingredients For Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
GROUND TURKEY – Today I’m using ground turkey for this recipe. You can also use lean ground beef or ground chicken.
SWEET POTATO – You’ll need one large sweet potato for the recipe. No need to cook it separate as it will be cooked in the skillet along with the rest of the ingredients. It’s important to cut the sweet potato into small bite-sized pieces so that it will cook fast and evenly.
SPICES – This recipe uses simple spices to keep the entire family happy. If you have picky eaters in the house, then less spiciness tends to work best. However, if you’re family loves spice then you can add more. Feel free to double up on the paprika and chili powder. A pinch of red pepper flakes and 1 tsp of cumin would also work great in this recipe.
ONION – Half of a yellow onion is cooked in the skillet first. When cooking for my family, I like to chop my onion small so that my daughter doesn’t really notice it in the recipe.
MOZZARELLA CHEESE – Once the skillet recipe is cooked, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. You can also use cheddar cheese, marble cheese, monterey, or jack cheese.
How To Make The Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
From start to finish, this recipe can be on your family’s plates in under 30 minutes.
- PREP THE VEGETABLES: I like to wash and prep all my vegetables first. For this recipe, you’ll need to wash, peel and chop the sweet potato into small cubes. Dice half of an onion, and mince two cloves of garlic.
- COOK GROUND TURKEY: Add a little bit of coconut oil into a skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and break it into small pieces. Let cook until it starts to brown.
- ADD ONION, SWEET POTATO, AND SPICES TO SKILLET: Cover the skillet with a lid (optional) and let cook, stirring occasionally until the sweet potato is soft when poked with a fork.
- MELT MOZZARELLA ON TOP: Grate some mozzarella cheese and sprinkle on top. Dish up and enjoy with your family.
More Easy Healthy Family Dinners:
Now that you have this recipe in your back pocket, here’s a few more dinner recipes you might want to try.
Easy Skillet Lasagna – an entire lasagna cooked in just 30 minutes in a skillet. And yes, it’s delicious!
Sheet Pan Fajitas – everything is cooked on a sheet pan and then wrapped in flour tortillas. It’s quick and fast and perfect for a theme night like taco Tuesday or fun Friday.
Bruschetta Chicken – one of my personal favorites. Healthy chicken breasts are surrounded by fresh tomatoes and basil. I can’t get enough of this recipe.
Sweet and Sour Sausage – another one-pan recipe with sausage, onions and pineapple all cooked in one skillet. Serve with rice and it’s a great weekday meal.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add the coconut oil and let melt. Add in ground turkey and minced garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the diced onion and cook until soft.
- Add the sweet potato and season everything with salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook until sweet potato is tender when poked with a fork. Stir the mixture occasionally during this process.
- Sprinkle the mixture with mozzarella cheese and serve while still warm.