Ground turkey sweet potato skillet is easy to make and perfect for busy weeknights. Everything is cooked in one frying pan, making clean-up easier. Serve on its own, with rice, or quinoa for a healthy family dinner.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
I don’t know about you, but I’m a big fan of a dinner recipe that’s easy to make and budget-friendly – and this one checks all the boxes.
This is an easy recipe that I guarantee you’ll have on repeat for your family. Made with just five main ingredients you can find at any grocery store including ground turkey, sweet potato, spices, onion, and mozzarella cheese. This recipe is quick and easy and the perfect healthy dinner in under 30 minutes.
Ingredients For Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this easy recipe:
- Ground Turkey – You’ll need 1 lb of ground turkey for this recipe. You can also use lean ground beef or ground chicken.
- Sweet Potato – You’ll need one large sweet potato for the recipe. No need to cook it separately as it will be cooked in the skillet along with the rest of the ingredients. It’s important to cut the sweet potato into small bite-sized pieces so that it will cook fast and evenly.
- Spices – This recipe uses simple spices to keep the entire family happy. If you have picky eaters in the house, then less spice tends to work best. However, if you’re family loves spice then you can add more. Feel free to double up on the paprika and chili powder. A pinch of red pepper flakes and 1 tsp of cumin would also work great in this recipe.
- Onion – Half of a yellow onion is cooked in the skillet first. When cooking for my family, I like to chop my onion small so that my daughter doesn’t really notice it in the recipe.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Once the skillet recipe is cooked, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. You can also use cheddar cheese, marble cheese, monterey, or jack cheese.
How To Make The Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
From start to finish, this recipe can be on your family’s plates in under 30 minutes.
- Prep The Vegetables: I like to wash and prep all my vegetables first. For this recipe, you’ll need to wash, peel and chop the sweet potato into small cubes. Dice half of an onion, and mince two cloves of garlic.
- Cook The Ground Turkey: Add a little bit of coconut oil into a skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and break it into small pieces. Let cook until it starts to brown.
- Add Onion, Sweet Potato and Spices To The Skillet: Cover the skillet with a lid (optional) and let cook, stirring occasionally until the sweet potato is soft when poked with a fork.
- Add Mozzarella: Grate some mozzarella cheese and sprinkle on top. Dish up and enjoy with your family.
More Easy Healthy Family Dinners
Now that you have this recipe in your back pocket, here are a few more dinner recipes to try:
- Healthy Hamburger Soup – loaded with vegetables and extra lean ground beef. It’s the perfect soup for busy weeknights.
- Roasted Chicken with Root Vegetables – this recipe makes a juicy tender chicken with a side of beautifully colored carrots, parsnips, rutabaga and brussels sprouts. All cooked in one dish.
- Sheet Pan Fajitas – everything is cooked on a sheet pan and then wrapped in flour tortillas. It’s quick and fast and perfect for a theme night like taco Tuesday or fun Friday.
- Bruschetta Chicken – one of my personal favorites. Healthy chicken breasts are surrounded by fresh tomatoes and basil. I can’t get enough of this recipe.
- Sweet and Sour Sausage – another one-pan recipe with sausage, onions and pineapple all cooked in one skillet. Serve with rice and it’s a great weekday meal.
- Chickpea Zucchini Stir Fry Wraps – the base of the wraps is created with a fast stir fry of chickpeas, veggies, and homemade taco seasoning – perfect for a fast weeknight dinner.
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add the cooking oil. Add in ground turkey and break up into small pieces with a spatula. Add the chopped sweet potatoes and cook until ground turkey is no longer pink (about 2-3 minutes).
- Next, add the minced garlic, chopped onion and all spices. Cook another 10 minutes or until sweet potato is tender when poked with a fork. Stir the mixture occasionally during this process.
- Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese. Dish on to plates and serve.
Nutrition Info Note: The actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes and the size and number of what you make. The nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands you choose and the ingredients you use.
If you’re looking for more specific details (for example, to track your macros) then I recommend adding specific brand ingredients and this recipe to a food tracker app on your phone.