Meatloaf Without Breadcrumbs
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Meatloaf without breadcrumbs is gluten-free. Ground beef is paired with chopped carrots, celery, parmesan cheese and an easy tomato sauce topping. This recipe is healthier than traditional meatloaf – it’s keto-friendly, paleo, and diabetic friendly.
Meatloaf Without Breadcrumbs
Ready for a delicious gluten-free meatloaf recipe!? It’s actually quite easy to make gluten-free meatloaf from scratch. The process is the same as you would a traditional meatloaf – but without the breadcrumbs.
This meatloaf is denser and a bit more crumbly than what you might be used to. But it’s healthier and delicious! There’s no ketchup – instead the sauce is made with a mixture of tomato paste and coconut aminos (you could also use soy sauce).
These kinds of small tweaks to ingredients can make a big difference to your overall health! The result is an easy, delicious meal you’ll feel good eating and sharing with your family.
This recipe is gluten-free, dairy-free, keto, paleo, whole 30, and diabetic friendly.
Meatloaf Without Breadcrumbs Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make the meatloaf:
- Extra Lean Ground Beef – I highly recommend using extra lean ground beef. You’ll get less grease which will make this meatloaf healthier. You can also use ground turkey or ground chicken for this recipe.
- Vegetables – This recipe uses chopped carrots and celery
- Coconut Aminos – This sauce is gluten-free and soy-free. It’s used to season both the meatloaf and the sauce. A substitution can be made by using soy sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese – Freshly grated parmesan cheese is used.
- Egg – One egg is used to help hold the meatloaf together.
- Spices – To flavor the meatloaf you’ll need onion powder, garlic powder, and ground pepper.
- Meatloaf Sauce – The sauce is poured on top after the meatloaf is cooked. It’s made with tomato paste and coconut aminos (or soy sauce). You can optionally add maple syrup or honey to sweeten it a bit.
Keto Meatloaf Tips and Tricks
- Use Extra Lean Ground Beef – Leaner ground beef will contain less fat and produce less grease while cooking.
- Spray The Loaf Pan – Before packing the raw meatloaf into the loaf pan, spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. I like to use avocado oil spray. This will make it easy for the meatloaf to slip out.
- Large Wooden Spatula – To transfer the cooked meatloaf onto a serving dish, scoop a large wooden spatula underneath the entire loaf. This will hold it sturdy and prevent breaking as you transfer.
Keto Meatloaf FAQs
No. These vegetables are chopped small in the food processor and then added raw to the meatloaf. They do not need to be cooked beforehand.
As you cook the meatloaf you will get grease and fat that drains out. For the healthiest version of meatloaf, you can transfer the meatloaf to a serving dish and discard the excess grease. You can also scrape it out of the baking sheet with a spatula.
Traditionally, many recipes use breadcrumbs soaked in milk. These are added to the meat which helps to keep it from feeling dry and crumbly. But for many of us who have food allergies, this isn’t an option. Personally, I’m ok with my meatloaf being more crumbly.
For Keto recipes, you can use arrowroot powder, tapioca starch, and eggs to help hold the meatloaf together. This recipe keeps things simple and just uses eggs, parmesan cheese and minced vegetables.
More Ground Beef Recipes
Here are some more gluten-free, sugar-free, keto-friendly recipes to try:
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Ground Beef, Pears and Parmesan – a delicious all-in-one dinner.
- Swedish Meatballs (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) – made with extra lean ground beef and a gravy sauce that’s full of flavor.
- Sheet Pan Nachos with Ground Beef – These can be eaten as a meal, straight from the sheet pan.
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) – A simple meatball recipe using ground beef is paired with an easy and delicious sweet and sour sauce made with crushed pineapples as the base.
FOLLOW ALONG: Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Youtube, Instagram and Facebook and for the latest updates, recipes and content! If you love this recipe, give it a star rating ★ below.
Meatloaf Without Breadcrumbs
- 3 carrots - peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos - soy sauce or tamari sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos - soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 or 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey - optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add chopped carrots and celery to a food processor or blender. Blend until pieces are small. Note: if you don't have a food processor you can mince the vegetables by hand.
- Add the chopped vegetables, grated parmesan and ground beef to a large bowl.
- Break apart the ground beef and mix everything together.
- In a small bowl, beat one egg with a fork. Stir in the coconut aminos (or soy sauce) onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour overtop of the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pack the ground beef mixture into the loaf pan and press it down tightly.
- Gently flip over onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and fully cooked.
- Use a large wooden spatula to scoop under the entire cooked meatloaf. This will help you transfer it to a serving dish.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the tomato paste, water, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), Italian seasoning, and maple syrup (sweetener is optional). Let simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread the tomato sauce mixture overtop of the meatloaf. Slice and serve.