Crispy tofu burrito bowl is made with marinated pan-fried tofu, rice, black beans, tomatoes and corn. It’s topped with a healthy lime dressing. This recipe is gluten-free, sugar-free, plant-based, and vegetarian.
Crispy Tofu Burrito Bowl
If you’re looking for a fresh and easy vegetarian burrito bowl, this is it! This tofu burrito bowl is light and fresh. The tofu is crispy and full of flavor, all thanks to an easy marinade.
This bowl can be assembled easily for lunch or dinner. This recipe makes 2 servings – feel free to double it to serve a full family, or meal prep for a week of lunches.
If you want to create crispy tofu, there are a simple few tips to know before you get started. I’ll walk you through those below.
Crispy Tofu Burrito Bowl Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tofu bowl:
- Extra Firm Tofu – Look for a 14-16 oz container of “extra firm” tofu. This will produce the crispiest results.
- Marinade – I used my honey mustard tofu marinade for this recipe. You can use any of these 7 tofu marinade flavors for this recipe.
- Rice – I used short grain brown rice. You could also use quinoa or pasta.
- Bowl Ingredients – This bowl is put together with black beans, corn, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and parsley.
- Dressing – To make the dressing you’ll need olive oil, lime juice, parsley, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
How To Make The Crispy Tofu Burrito Bowl
One of the easiest ways to cook tofu is in a frying pan. Here’s a quick overview of how to do it:
- Add a bit of cooking oil to a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the pressed and cut tofu to the pan. Brown on all sides and cook until sides start to look a bit crispy. This will take about 8-10 minutes in total.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice, quinoa, pasta or anything else you’d like.
Why Does My Tofu Stick To The Pan?
If your tofu is sticking to the pan, there might be too much moisture in your tofu. Be sure to use extra-firm tofu and press it before cooking. You can see simple pressing instructions below in the recipe card.
Also, make sure to heat the frying pan with a bit of oil before adding in the tofu.
More Tofu Recipes To Try
- Basil Balsamic Pan Fried Tofu – flavored with a delicious marinade and then cooked in a frying pan.
- Air Fryer Tofu – easy to make and creates delicious crispy results.
Want more? Try my 7 Easy Tofu Marinades that will give your tofu incredible flavor. You can use these in a variety of recipes – including salads, wraps and grain bowls.
Crispy Tofu Burrito Bowl
- Remove the tofu from the package and drain any excess liquid. Place the tofu on 3-4 paper towels. Then add another 3-4 paper towels on top.
- Place a clean heavy frying pan or pot on top of the tofu for 30 minutes. This will "press the tofu" and squeeze out any excess moisture. If your pan isn't too heavy you can add canned beans to create more weight.Replace the paper towels halfway through if they become too wet.
- Once the tofu has been pressed, chop it in to 1-inch squares and place in a bag.
- In a bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. I used honey mustard marinade but you can use any of these six tofu marinade flavors. Pour the marinade into the bag with chopped tofu and place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes or longer.Note: These marinades work best when tofu can be soaked for at least a few hours – I prefer to marinate overnight.
- Heat a frying pan with a bit of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Pan should be hot before adding in the tofu and sauce. Cook until the tofu is browned on each side, about 8-10 minutes.
- The sauce will reduce during this time and the tofu will get crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Make The Dressing: Add olive oil, lime juice, dijon mustard, minced garlic, parsley (or cilantro), salt and pepper to a bowl and mix together.
- Cook the rice. Slice the tomatoes and avocado. Drain and rinse the black beans. Heat up the corn in the microwave (if using frozen corn).
- Add the cooked rice, cooked tofu, parsley (or cilantro), black beans, corn, cherry tomatoes, and sliced avocado to a bowl. Drizzle the dressing over top. Serve and enjoy!
- I used my honey mustard tofu marinade for this recipe. You can use any of these 7 tofu marinade flavors for this recipe.
- It’s important to use “extra firm” tofu to get the crispiest results.
The nutritional information provided is an estimate and is per serving.