Flourless banana chocolate muffins use simple ingredients and are made in a blender for a quick and healthy treat! These muffins use seed butter as the base to create a delicious chocolatey snack. They’re nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and have no refined sugar, and are perfect for anyone with these food allergies.
Flourless muffins make a great school snack, but you don’t have to save these just for the kids! I love grabbing one of these muffins in the afternoon when I’m craving something sweet.
Flourless Banana Chocolate Muffins
Did you know you can make a muffin without flour? You can – How cool is that!? Many of us were raised on traditional muffins made with white flour and refined sugar. Sure, they taste delicious, but you don’t always feel good after. I know for me, too much refined sugar can give me a migraine. So I avoid it as much as possible.
Now before I go any further, I want to point out that these muffins have a different consistency than you might be used to. That’s because there’s is no flour inside these muffins. How does that work? Well, this recipe uses a special ingredient to replace the flour – it’s seed butter! You can also use your favorite nut butter too.
The seed butter (or nut butter) provides a really unique flavor and consistency that might feel a little strange at first. The first time I took a bite, I was expecting a normal muffin texture – you won’t get that with this recipe. But trust me, these muffins quickly become addictive and I think you and your kids are going to love them!
Flourless Banana Chocolate Muffins Ingredients
These muffins come together easily in the blender without any flour. Here are the ingredients you’ll need.
- Seed Butter – You can use any seed butter or nut butter that you prefer. For example, sunflower seed butter, pumpkin seed butter, tahini, peanut butter, almond butter, and cashew butter will all work. I used Sunbutter in my recipe (it’s 100% nut-free) but you can also make your own pumpkin seed butter!
- Ripe Bananas – Two ripe bananas will add moisture and sweetness to this recipe.
- Eggs – You’ll need two large eggs.
- Maple Syrup – I used maple syrup to sweeten the recipe. You can also use honey or lakanto monkfruit sweetener (it’s sugar-free and keto friendly).
- Chocolate Chips – I prefer to use 70% dark chocolate chips.
- Other Stuff – You’ll also need vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
How To Make Flourless Banana Chocolate Muffins
These muffins are so simple to make. Everything comes together in a blender and three simple steps.
- Blender Ingredients – Add the seed butter (or nut butter), bananas, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a blender or food processor. Blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Fold In Chocolate Chips – Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chips inside the blender. No need to blend at this step.
- Muffin Pan – Lightly grease a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the batter halfway full into each muffin cup. Use a spatula to scoop down the sides of the blender as it will be sticky. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top of each muffin, then bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- Storage – Let the muffins cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
BLENDER CLEANING TIP: Seed Butter (or nut butter) is sticky! And might be hard to get out of your blender. Not to worry! Here’s how it do it easily. Step one: Add hot water and dish soap to the blender and let sit for 10 minutes. Then use a scrubber to scrub all the sides. Drain and rinse the blender with warm water. Step Two: To clean underneath the blades add 2 cups of warm water and 1 Tbsp vinegar to the blender. Turn the blender on and blend for 30 seconds. This will help remove anything under the blade. Drain and rinse with warm water and flip upside down to dry.
Flourless Chocolate Banana Muffins Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. They contain no flour and only use seed butter or nut butter as the base.
Yes. You can substitute the maple syrup for honey or use Lakanto monkfruit sweetener (it’s sugar free and can be used for paleo and keto recipes).
Yes. You can use a food processor, or you can mix by hand in a bowl. Be sure to mash the banana really well with a fork before adding it to the batter.
More Healthy Treat Recipes To Try
- Banana Oatmeal Muffins – a healthy breakfast muffin filled with delicious gluten-free rolled oats and sweetened with maple syrup and ripe bananas.
- Gluten-Free Cake (sugar-free, nut-free) – made with two layers of white cake and topped with fresh whipping cream and berries.
- Healthy Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Cups – you’re going to love these as you can easily customize them to include favorite ingredients (banana bread, double chocolate, coconut blueberry, apple cinnamon, cranberry orange etc.)
- Cookie Dough Energy Bites – These bites are high in protein and healthy fats which will give our bodies more energy. Great for after school snacks or a quick sweet treat.
- Carrot Cake Energy Bites – This recipe smells incredibly delicious and tastes just like real carrot cake! These bites are healthy, gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and oil-free.
Flourless Banana Chocolate Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add seed butter (or nut butter), bananas, maple syrup, vanilla extract, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a blender.
- Blend for 60 seconds until everything comes together in a smooth creamy consistency.
- While the batter is in the blender, fold the chocolate chips using a spatula.
- Pour the batter halfway into each muffin cup. Use a spatula to scoop extra batter out of the blender.
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely then use a butter knife around the sides of the muffin to gently release it.
- Store muffins in the fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Step one: Add hot water and dish soap to the blender and let sit for 10 minutes. Then use a scrubber to scrub all the sides. Drain and rinse the blender with warm water.
- Step Two: To clean underneath the blades add 2 cups of warm water and 1 Tbsp vinegar to the blender. Turn the blender on and blend for 30 seconds. This will help remove anything under the blade. Drain and rinse with warm water and flip upside down to dry.