Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches Grab-and-Go Breakfast
Freezer breakfast sandwiches are made with all the classic breakfast ingredients including eggs, bacon, and sausage. This recipe makes 12 sandwiches and can easily be meal prepped in under an hour – Just grab one from the freezer and pop it in the microwave for the perfect grab-and-go breakfast.
Freezer Breakfast Sandwich Ingredients
EGGS: No breakfast sandwich would be complete without the eggs! You’ll need a full dozen to create enough eggs for 12 breakfast sandwiches.
SAUSAGE: Half of the breakfast sandwiches will contain sausage. Look for “breakfast sausage patties” when you’re at the grocery store. Alternatively, you can use ham slices or Canadian bacon.
BACON: Grab a package of your favorite brand of bacon from the grocery store. To save time, I’m cooking the bacon on a baking sheet in the oven. This makes the bacon sit flatter so it’s easier to stack inside each sandwich.
CHEESE: I used cheddar cheese slices, but you can also use mozzarella or Havarti. For a spicer option, try Monterey jack cheese.
ENGLISH MUFFINS: Store-bought whole wheat english muffins are used in this recipe. However, you can use any type of bun, sandwich round, or even bread slices.
While I’m showing you the classic breakfast sandwich version today, you can easily customize these to add extra healthy ingredients. When you’re ready to eat, add favorite toppings like mashed avocado, hot sauce, or salsa inside for extra flavor.
Use my sheet pan sweet potato spinach omelette recipe to add extra veggies into the eggs before baking. Use Canadian bacon. Add sliced bell peppers, tomatoes, kale… there are so many ways to get creative here. Once you master this recipe, you’ll feel confident trying new variations with it.
How To Make Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches:
These freezer breakfast sandwiches are assembled in stages. This is the order that I cooked everything to save time.
To save time and create flat uniform pieces, the bacon is cooked on a sheet pan in the oven. Bake at 325°F for 15 minutes. Use a pair of tongs to remove from pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess grease.
While the bacon is cooking, add the sausage patties to a frying pan on the stove. Cook each side for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Add to a paper towel to absorb grease.
BAKE SHEET PAN EGGS:
In a large bowl, add 12 eggs and generously season with salt and pepper. To speed up the process you can use an electric mixer to beat the eggs. This can also be done by hand, or in a blender on low for a few seconds.
Pull the oven rack out a notch and place a baking sheet lined with parchment paper on the rack. Pour the egg mixture onto the baking sheet (read my sheet pan omelette recipe for further tips & instructions). Gently push the rack back and close the oven door. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or until edges turn golden and center is fully cooked. Slice eggs into 12 sections using a knife or the rim of a glass to create round shapes.
ASSEMBLE BREAKFAST SANDWICHES:
The assembly is so simple and is done in this order…
- Butter each side of english muffin
- Place egg on bottom piece
- Add bacon / sausage / ham
- Top with cheese
How To Freeze:
Once the breakfast sandwiches are assembled and fully cooled, wrap each one in a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Label the top with the sandwich type (bacon or sausage), and place each one in a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag, seal tightly and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Now your family can easily grab one as they’re all packaged in single-serving portions.
How To Reheat A Frozen Breakfast Sandwich:
Microwave Instructions: Thaw overnight in the fridge. Remove from parchment paper and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for 40 seconds on defrost. Flip over and microwave on high for 20 seconds, or until cheese has melted and it’s heated throughout.
Oven Instructions From Frozen: Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove parchment paper and place breakfast sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until fully heated through and cheese has melted.
Oven Instructions When Thawed: Remove sandwiches from freezer and let them thaw overnight in the fridge (still wrapped in parchment paper). Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove parchment paper and place breakfast sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until fully heated through and cheese has melted.
More Meal Prep Recipes To Try:
- Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Cups – quick and easy for weekday mornings
- Sheet Pan Sweet Potato Omelette – healthy and so easy to make.
- Homemade Pizza Lunchables – great for kids’ lunches.
- Overnight Oats – Six healthy flavors to try
Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup milk - dairy or non dairy
- 1 package of bacon
- 6 sausage patties
- 12 slices of cheddar cheese
- 12 english muffins
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Cook The Bacon:
- Add bacon to a bacon sheet and bake for 15 minutes. When done, use tongs to place on paper towel to absorb excess grease. Set aside.
- While bacon is cooking, add sausage patties to a skillet over medium high heat on the stove. Cook approx 3-4 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until sausage is fully cooked.
Sheet Pan Eggs:
- In a large bowl, add eggs, milk and generously season with salt and pepper. Using a mixer, beat the eggs together.
- Open oven and pull out oven rack. Place empty baking sheet on rack, then pour egg mixture on it (doing it this way helps to prevent spilling the eggs). Gently push the rack back in and bake for 30 minutes, or until edges begin to golden and the center is cooked.
- Let eggs cool then slice into 12 servings for each breakfast sandwich. These can be square or circle shaped by using the rim of a glass as a "cookie cutter shape".
Assembling Breakfast Muffins:
- Separate each english muffin in half, and place in rows on the counter. Spread butter on to each side of the egg muffin.
- Add the egg shapes to the bottom of each muffin.
- Top six of the english muffins with sausage patties, and six with pieces of bacon.
- Add cheese slices to each one. Put tops of english muffins back on.
- Wrap each muffin in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Label the top with breakfast muffin flavor (sausage or bacon). Add all sandwiches to a freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, then seal tightly. These can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Oven Instructions From Frozen: Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove parchment paper and place breakfast sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until fully heated through and cheese has melted.
- Oven Instructions When Thawed: Remove sandwiches from freezer and let them thaw overnight in the fridge (still wrapped in parchment paper). Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove parchment paper and place breakfast sandwiches on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until fully heated through and cheese has melted.
- Microwave Instructions: Thaw overnight in the fridge. Remove from parchment paper and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave for 40 seconds on defrost. Flip over and microwave on high for 20 seconds, or until cheese has melted and it's heated throughout.
- These sandwiches taste great with extra sauce! Add your favorites: hot sauce, salsa, guacamole, and hummus, etc.
- Add sweet potatoes and spinach to the sheet pan eggs before cooking for a healthier breakfast sandwich – see recipe.