Graham Cracker Muffins
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Graham cracker muffins are wholesome with a sweet and crumbly topping.
Graham cracker crumbs are mixed with whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and simple baking ingredients to create an easy and delicious muffin. Baked until golden brown. Wholesome, filling and delicious!
This simple recipe is perfect to tuck in a bento box lunch or with our mashed chickpea wraps. This also makes a great afternoon snack pick-me-up.
Who doesn’t love warm muffins fresh out of the oven? This recipe takes a classic muffin base and combines it with graham crackers for a fun crunchy topping!
- This easy recipe uses graham crackers and a handful of simple ingredients.
- These are budget-friendly and will cost less than $2 to make, using healthier ingredients than store-bought muffins that contain unwanted preservatives.
- Make these muffins regular sized or mini depending on who they’re for. Little hands love the smaller sized bites, similar to our pancake mini muffins made using a mini muffin pan.
- For more hearty muffin recipes try our flaxseed muffins or banana oatmeal muffins or our oatmeal muffins base with six flavors to try.
- Graham crackers are easy to crumble and add to sweet treats like our no-bake s’more bars or dad’s famous cheesecake.
GRAHAM CRACKERS: This recipe uses 1 cup of crushed graham crackers this will be about 5-8 crackers, plus a few more for sprinkling on top of the batter before baking. I don’t recommend using store-bought graham cracker crumbs because you won’t be able to get that crunchy topping.
FLOUR: I used whole wheat flour for a heartier muffin, however, this recipe will also work with all-purpose flour or ½ cup of each.
DRY INGREDIENTS: Other ingredients include brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
WET INGREDIENTS: Milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract are mixed in to create the muffin batter.
How To Make Graham Cracker Muffins
Make this easy recipe with kids as it’s family-friendly and so easy! Here’s a quick overview with full detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Crush the graham crackers in a bag. Add them to a large bowl along with dry ingredients. Mix everythign together.
- Beat an egg, and add milk, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix into a batter.
- Divide batter into a muffin pan and bake 20-22 minutes, until golden brown.
Leftover muffins can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. I prefer to free my muffin and loaf recipes to preserve freshness. Just wrap one in a paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds to heat up.
- Swap whole wheat flour for all purpose flour for a lighter cakier feel. Or use half of each flour for a blend.
- The graham cracker crumbs should be small but still a bit chunky. This is perfect to sprinkle on the tops of the muffins.
- Greasing the pan with a bit of vegetable oil and a paper towel will ensure that the muffins pop out easily.
More Muffin Recipes
- Whole Wheat Apple Muffins are fluffy with hints of sweet baked apples.
- Rhubarb Muffins are tart and wholesome.
- Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins taste like Fall!
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins are high in fiber with a zesty lemon flavor.
- Whole Wheat Buttermilk Muffins have a delicious streusel topping.
Graham Cracker Muffins
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers - plus 2 Tbsp for topping
- 1 cup whole wheat flour - or all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan with a bit of vegetable oil and a paper towel. Or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add a few graham crackers to a bag and seal tightly. Crush the crackers with your hands or the side of a rolling pin. All crumbs should be very small bit-size pieces. Repeat the process until they resemble this size.
- Add 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a bowl. Mix together until even.
- In a separate bowl, beat one egg and add the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry four ingredients. Mix together until just combined (do not overmix).
- Add approximately ¼ cup of muffin batter to each muffin cup. Sprinkle the tops with 1 tsp crushed graham crackers, gently pressing the crackers into the batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when poked through the center. Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Should the ingredients be mixed by hand or hand-held mixer
I mixed by hand. If you use a hand mixer, it will make the graham cracker pieces smaller.