Hamburger casserole is the ultimate easy weeknight dinner. Cheesy pasta noodles are combined with ground beef and tomato sauce in a casserole dish. Serve it with a side salad or crunchy biscuit and you’ll have a dish the whole family will want seconds of!
Hamburger anything is a favorite around here. From my crockpot hamburger soup to my one-pot taco pasta, I’m always finding ways to use ground beef in my dinner recipes because it’s affordable and so easy to cook with.
Ingredients For Hamburger Casserole:
- Ground beef
- Pasta noodles – I like to use brown rice spiral pasta noodles, but you can use any kind of noodles you like.
- Pasta sauce
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Spices: oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper
How To Make Hamburger Casserole
This hamburger casserole is so easy to make, it can be ready in a few simple steps!
- Boil noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet with a bit of oil.
- Stir in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and all spices.
- Add in cooked pasta.
- Pour into casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let cook for 15 before slicing and serving.
You probably won’t have trouble with leftovers lasting too long (this recipe is a crowd pleaser and your family will probably gobble it up). However, here are some tips for storing extra.
- Let hamburger casserole cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge.
- Slice in to squares and individually wrap in plastic wrap. Add all pieces to a freezer bag and store in the freezer for easy lunches.
Time Saving Tips
- Cooking your pasta ahead of time makes this meal even more of a breeze. Boil the pasta in water, drain and rinse earlier in the week. Then store in the fridge in an airtight container until you’re ready to make the hamburger casserole.
- Make it a freezer meal: Prep all ingredients in an aluminum casserole pan and cover with plastic. Store in freezer for 1-3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge and cook for 25-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heated all the way through.
- Batch prep ground beef in advance. Sometimes if I find a sale on ground beef I will stock up and cook it all in one big batch with some onion. Then I’ll freeze 1 lb each in freezer bags. I frequently use it in casserole dishes and skillet meals so this saves time and money.
More Easy Weeknight Dinners
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet – one of our faves
- Crockpot Hamburger Soup – so easy to make
- Pizza Casserole – incredibly delicious
- Quinoa Turkey Chili – uses ground turkey and is very flavorful
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add noodles to a pot of boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, brown the beef and onion.
- Stir in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add drained noodles, and beef mixture into a bowl. Mix together.
- Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake for 25-30 minnutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool, then slice in to squares and serve.