*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Hamburger casserole is the ultimate easy weeknight dinner. Cheesy pasta noodles are combined with ground beef and tomato sauce in a casserole dish. Serve it with a side salad or crunchy biscuit and you’ll have a dish the whole family will want seconds of!
Hamburger anything is a favorite around here. From my crockpot hamburger soup to my one-pot taco pasta, I’m always finding ways to use ground beef in my dinner recipes because it’s affordable and so easy to cook with.
Ingredients For Hamburger Casserole:
- Ground beef
- Pasta noodles – I like to use brown rice spiral pasta noodles, but you can use any kind of noodles you like.
- Pasta sauce
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Spices: oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper
How To Make Hamburger Casserole
This hamburger casserole is so easy to make, it can be ready in a few simple steps!
- Boil noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet with a bit of oil.
- Stir in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and all spices.
- Add in cooked pasta.
- Pour into casserole dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let cook for 15 before slicing and serving.
You probably won’t have trouble with leftovers lasting too long (this recipe is a crowd pleaser and your family will probably gobble it up). However, here are some tips for storing extra.
- Let hamburger casserole cool completely, then cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge.
- Slice in to squares and individually wrap in plastic wrap. Add all pieces to a freezer bag and store in the freezer for easy lunches.
Time Saving Tips
- Cooking your pasta ahead of time makes this meal even more of a breeze. Boil the pasta in water, drain and rinse earlier in the week. Then store in the fridge in an airtight container until you’re ready to make the hamburger casserole.
- Make it a freezer meal: Prep all ingredients in an aluminum casserole pan and cover with plastic. Store in freezer for 1-3 months. When ready to eat, thaw in the fridge and cook for 25-40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heated all the way through.
- Batch prep ground beef in advance. Sometimes if I find a sale on ground beef I will stock up and cook it all in one big batch with some onion. Then I’ll freeze 1 lb each in freezer bags. I frequently use it in casserole dishes and skillet meals so this saves time and money.
More Easy Weeknight Dinners
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet – one of our faves
- Crockpot Hamburger Soup – so easy to make
- Pizza Casserole – incredibly delicious
- Quinoa Turkey Chili – uses ground turkey and is very flavorful
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add noodles to a pot of boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, brown the beef and onion.
- Stir in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add drained noodles, and beef mixture into a bowl. Mix together.
- Pour into a casserole dish and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake for 25-30 minnutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool, then slice in to squares and serve.