*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
We are big fans of homemade granola over here. My husband will eat the entire batch in one day if he could. He enjoys his in a bowl with coconut milk. I like mine sprinkled on top of a smoothie bowl or with plain greek yogurt, and my daughter will happily eat it alone with a spoon.
IS HOMEMADE GRANOLA HEALTHY FOR YOU?
I really believe that homemade granola is much better than any store-bought versions, even the organic healthier options, and here’s why…
If you’ve ever looked at the ingredients list on store-bought granola, you’ll notice that they are almost always FULL of sugar. Much more sugar than you actually need.
And if you’re going to eat this in the morning or have your children eat it in the morning, the LAST thing you want is to eat so much sugar first thing! This will just cause an energy crash.
Plus making a homemade version will give you the ability to really load up on the good stuff like nuts, seeds, cacao nibs, shredded coconut, and dried fruit. Store-bought versions won’t do this because they’re usually trying to keep their costs down to a minimum, so you won’t get added things like hemp seeds, and chia seeds which are incredible for overall health.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE GRANOLA FROM SCRATCH
I know I say this a lot, but this will be one of the easiest recipes you make!
- Step one: Mix all your ingredients together in a bowl – about 3 minutes
- Step two: Bake granola on a baking sheet – about 30 minutes
- Step three: Ta-da! that’s it – no really… I told you it was simple. Now you can eat.
So my friends, avoid the extra sugar and lower quality ingredients from the store-bought versions and make your own instead. Grab the full homemade granola recipe below.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs (optional)
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a small bowl, melt coconut oil and maple syrup together in a microwave for a few seconds. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together oats, shredded coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, and sea salt. Add the coconut oil mixture in and stir everything together.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until granola begins to turn golden brown. Give granola a quick stir halfway through baking.
- Store in an airtight jar on the counter.
- How To Use: Sprinkle as a topping on smoothie bowls. Eat with a dollop of plain yogurt. Eat like cereal with a bit of milk. Or grab a handful for a crunchy snack.
Feel free to play around with ingredients. You can add nuts, dried fruits, chia seeds, dark chocolate chips etc. And if you don’t have an ingredient in the recipe list, skip it. This recipe is easy to adapt!
See more family-friendly recipes on our website: www.andianne.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 7g
Please note: This nutrition information is only an estimate.
Did you enjoy this post? Share the ❤️ and Pin it to Pinterest!