Ranch taco chicken salad is loaded with delicious vegetables, cooked chicken, black beans, cheddar cheese and crunchy tortilla chips. It’s topped with an easy ranch taco salad dressing. This recipe is easy to put together and something the whole family will love.
Ranch Taco Chicken Salad
This ranch taco chicken salad is loaded with good stuff. Filled to the brim with beautiful colors and simple flavors. Although this salad might look fancy, it’s actually super simple.
Cooked chicken is flavored with taco seasoning and topped with the perfect creamy dressing. This recipe will fill you up with protein (chicken), and healthy fats (avocado) without feeling bloated afterward.
You can bake the chicken in advance to save time or do it right before assembling the salad. It only takes 20-30 minutes to bake (depending on the size) and can be tossed in the salad while it’s still warm.
Ranch Taco Chicken Salad Ingredients
Here are the delicious healthy ingredients you’ll need to make this salad:
- Chicken – You’ll need two large chicken breasts or chicken breast filets (this is what I used). These will be flavored with taco seasoning.
- Vegetables – This salad uses romaine lettuce, canned corn, cherry tomatoes, red onion, green onion and ripe avocado.
- Black Beans – One can of drained and rinsed black beans is added to the salad.
- Tortilla Chips – One cup of tortilla chips are crushed and sprinkled throughout the salad to add the perfect crunch.
- Cheese – I used cheddar cheese and cut it into small cubes. You can use whatever cheese you’d like.
- Salad Dressing – The salad dressing uses a mix of ranch dressing (make your own homemade ranch dressing here) and taco seasoning (you can easily make your own here) to create maximum flavor.
Ranch Taco Chicken Salad Directions
Although this recipe might look complicated, it’s actually very simple. Everything comes together in four simple steps. You’ll have the salad done and ready to serve in 30 minutes!
- Bake The Chicken – First, coat the chicken with cooking oil (I used melted coconut oil) then use 1 tsp of taco seasoning and sprinkle over one side of the chicken, flip over and repeat on the other side. Bake at 400°F for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool 10 minutes, then cut into bite-size pieces.
- Prep The Salad Ingredients – Wash and chop the romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and green onion. Slice the red onion, cut the cheese into small cubes and drain and rinse the black beans and corn. Add all ingredients along with the cooked chicken to a large serving bowl.
- Make The Salad Dressing – In a bowl mix together the ranch dressing and taco seasoning.
- Toss Everything Together – Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss everything together.
More Salad Recipes To Try
Want more salad inspiration? Here are some great recipes to save for later:
- Kale Caesar Salad – a fresh take on the classic caesar salad. It’s so yummy you might want to eat the whole bowl!
- BLT Pasta Salad – this salad is great for picnics or potlucks.
- Watermelon Arugula Salad – fresh and tangy, this salad is wonderful in the summertime.
- Honey Dijon Quinoa Salad – high in protein (from quinoa) and delicious.
- Homemade Cobb Salad – still my favorite salad ever.
- Garden Salad With Herb Dressing – an easy side salad for dinnertime.
- Sweet Potato Kale Salad – a simple, yet flavorful with roasted sweet potatoes, tangy parmesan cheese and a creamy dressing.
Ranch Taco Chicken Salad
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil - I used coconut oil
- 1 tsp taco seasoning - you can make your own (see notes)
- 5 cups romaine lettuce - washed and chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - sliced in half
- 1 cup tortilla chips - crushed
- ½ cup red onion - sliced thin
- ½ cup green onions - chopped small
- 1 ripe avocado - pit removed and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup ranch dressing - (see notes)
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning - you can make your own (see notes)
- Add chicken breasts to a baking dish. Drizzle cooking oil overtop along with 1 tsp of taco seasoning. Flip the chicken over and drizzle last half of cooking oil and another 1 tsp taco seasoning. Bake at 400°F for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 165°F when poked with a meat thermometer.
- Let chicken cool, then slice into small bite-sized pieces.
- Wash and chop all the vegetables and add everything to a large serving bowl: romaine lettuce, cooked chicken, black beans, cooked corn, cherry tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips, cubed cheese, red onion, green onions, ripe avocado. Toss everything together.
- In a small bowl add the ranch dressing and 1 Tbsp taco seasoning (you can make your own here). Mix together.
- Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and toss together. Scoop onto bowls and serve immediately.
- You can make your own taco seasoning with spices you already have in your pantry using these instructions.
- You can use store-bought ranch dressing or make your own with my easy homemade recipe.
- This salad can be store in the fridge for 1-2 days. It will taste the freshest on the day that you make it.