This slow cooker beef stew is so delicious and easy to make. The stew is filled with tender pieces of beef and fresh vegetables, all slowly simmered in your crockpot to create a new favorite that will last for generations to come. Serve with mashed potatoes for the best comfort food! This recipe is a must-have in anyone’s list!
Here’s an easy slow cooker beef stew recipe for your weeknight dinners. The whole thing can be prepared easily in the morning and then ready for you by dinnertime. I paired the stew with mashed potatoes – the result was a comfort meal that is perfect for Fall and Winter. This recipe is an easy crowd-pleaser!
I made this stew because I found a really good sale on a beef roast at the grocery store this week. The roast I bought was massive, so I cut it all up into small cubes and froze the extra for future stews and stir frys.
Before you add everything the slow cooker, you’ll want to brown the beef first. To do that, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with some coconut oil (or any cooking oil you choose) then add in garlic and onion. Cook until the onion becomes translucent, which is about 1 minute. Then add the beef and brown on all sides. Once that’s complete you can add it to the slow cooker, juices and all.
You can cook this stew on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours (depending on your slow cooker). I like to check and see how my stews are doing every once in a while if I’m home just to make sure.
To thicken the broth, you can add 2 Tbsp of flour. If you want your soup to be gluten-free you can use arrowroot powder as an alternative thickener. Add 2-3 Tbsp to a small bowl along with some cold water. Mix together then pour into the slow cooker. If you want the liquid to be thicker, feel free to adjust the amount if needed.
More Comfort Food Recipes:
Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker
- 4-6 potatoes - peeled and chopeed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil - or other cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp milk - dairy or non dairy
Brown The Beef:
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or cooking oil of your choice). Add minced garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute until onion becomes translucent. Add in beef cubes and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
Slow Cooker Steps:
- Add browned beef mixture and any juices from frying pan into the slow cooker. Add in beef broth, carrots, frozen peas, dried thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in flour or arrowroot powder and mix everything together. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours depending on your slow cooker.
- Boil potatoes over medium-high heat in a pot. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer until potatoes become soft when poked with a fork. Pour potatoes into a strainer to drain excess water. Add potatoes back to empty pot along with 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter. Add in a small splash of milk – not too much or they will become runny. Use an electric mixer to mash potatoes.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into a bowl and pour stew over top. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!