*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Here’s an easy slow cooker beef stew recipe for your weeknight dinners. The whole thing can be prepared easily in the morning and then ready for you by dinnertime. I paired the stew with mashed potatoes – the result was a comfort meal that is perfect for Fall and Winter. This recipe is an easy crowd-pleaser!
I made this stew because I found a really good sale on a beef roast at the grocery store this week. The roast I bought was massive, so I cut it all up into small cubes and froze the extra for future stews and stir frys.
Before you add everything the slow cooker, you’ll want to brown the beef first. To do that, heat a skillet over medium-high heat with some coconut oil (or any cooking oil you choose) then add in garlic and onion. Cook until the onion becomes translucent, which is about 1 minute. Then add the beef and brown on all sides. Once that’s complete you can add it to the slow cooker, juices and all.
You can cook this stew on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours (depending on your slow cooker). I like to check and see how my stews are doing every once in a while if I’m home just to make sure.
To thicken the broth, you can add 2 Tbsp of flour. If you want your soup to be gluten-free you can use arrowroot powder as an alternative thickener. Add 2-3 Tbsp to a small bowl along with some cold water. Mix together then pour into the slow cooker. If you want the liquid to be thicker, feel free to adjust the amount if needed.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp flour or arrowroot powder
Mashed Potato Ingredients:
- 4-6 potatoes
- coconut oil
- 1-2 Tbsp milk of your choice
- Brown The Beef: Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp coconut oil (or cooking oil of your choice). Add minced garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute until onion becomes translucent. Add in beef cubes and brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Slow Cooker Steps: Add browned beef mixture and any juices from frying pan into the slow cooker. Add in beef broth, carrots, frozen peas, dried thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in flour or arrowroot powder and mix everything together. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours depending on your slow cooker.
- Make The Mashed Potatoes: Boil potatoes over medium-high heat in a pot. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer until potatoes become soft when poked with a fork. Pour potatoes into a strainer to drain excess water. Add potatoes back to empty pot along with 1 Tbsp coconut oil or butter. Add in a small splash of milk - not too much or they will become runny. Use an electric mixer to mash potatoes.
- To Serve: Spoon mashed potatoes into a bowl and pour stew over top. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
See more family-friendly recipes at www.andianne.com
Did you enjoy this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!