Chicken lentil taco soup is loaded with vegetables, beans, and shredded chicken. It’s the perfect soup for busy weeknights or a week’s worth of lunches. This recipe includes both instant pot and slow cooker instructions.
Chicken Lentil Taco Soup
Want a healthy soup that is low carb and high in protein? This slow cooker chicken taco soup is full to the brim with vegetables and legumes. It’s fast to make – so perfect for busy weekdays – and very filling.
Everybody needs an instant pot chicken soup recipe in their lives – and in my opinion, this one is it. I love to add fresh toppings like avocado, plain greek yogurt, grated cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and green onions. It’s sooo yummy and the perfect meal for you and your family to enjoy as you go on your health journey.
Chicken Lentil Taco Soup Ingredients
This soup is packed to the brim with a variety of healthy ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken Breasts – You’ll need two boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Legumes – I used one can of lentils and black beans that were drained and rinsed under cold water.
- Diced Tomatoes – You’ll need one can of drained diced tomatoes.
- Corn – You can use frozen corn or canned corn.
- Chicken Broth – I like to buy organic chicken broth from Costco – it’s the best deal I’ve found.
- Spices – You’ll also need cumin, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Chicken Lentil Taco Soup Directions
- The whole recipe is made in two easy steps – first, you’ll add all ingredients to your instant pot (I have this one) on high for 10 minutes, then remove the chicken, shred it with a fork and stir it back into the soup. That’s it!
- If you’re using a slow cooker you can add all ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or until chicken is fully cooked). Then remove the chicken and shred with a fork. Add it back to the soup and serve.
More Soup Recipes
- Healthy Hamburger Soup – loaded with vegetables and extra lean ground beef. It’s the perfect soup for busy weeknights. This recipe includes both slow cooker and stovetop instructions.
- Ground Turkey Soup with Kale and Beans (Instant Pot) – healthy, hearty and made with lean ground turkey. This soup can be put together fast – you’ll have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes!
- Lentil Tortilla Soup – a vegetarian soup that’s full of flavor and incredibly easy to make.
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup – lately I’ve been making a batch of this soup for my lunches. It’s so easy to whip up in the afternoon and eat throughout the week.
- Creamy Carrot Tomato Soup – one of my favorite recipes, this is a fresh take on the classic tomato soup we all know and love but with a twist.
Chicken Lentil Taco Soup (Instant Pot & Slow Cooker)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 carton chicken broth - about 7 cups
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes - drained
- 1 can lentils - drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn - canned or frozen
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Add all ingredients to the instant pot. Close the lid and turn the steam release valve to "seal". Set the instant pot to high and 10 minutes. The instnat pot will take a few minutes to fully pressurize (15-20 mins) before it starts actually cooking.
- When cooking is complete, let it naturally release pressure for 10 mins. Once done, carefully turn the steam valve to "vent" position (I usually do this with a wooden spoon so that my hand is far away from the steam). Once all steam has released, open the lid. Remove chicken and shred with a fork. Add chicken back to pot and stir everything together.
- Serve in a bowl with optional toppings including, green onions, plain greek yogurt, grated cheese, avocado, rice and crushed tortilla chips. Store leftovers in an airtight container in fridge for up to one week.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Give the pot a quick stir and place on the lid. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and shred with a fork. Add chicken back to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Optional Toppings: Plain greek yogurt, grated cheese, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, green onions
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.