Prep the recipe ahead of time, and bake just before serving for a wonderful appetizer!
This spinach feta pie recipe combines savory flavors of cottage cheese and feta with a delicious, crispy phyllo crust.
Easy and Flavorful Appetizer
This appetizer might look complicated, but it’s fairly easy using simple ingredients. I recommend prepping it in advance, then baking just before you plan to serve!
- Traditional spinach feta pie uses ricotta cheese. Today I’m substituting for cottage cheese which is more affordable and lower in fat and calories. The results are just as wonderful.
- Buttery phyllo pastry adds a delightful crispy crunch. Be sure to give guests a plate and fork as this recipe is deliciously messy.
- Spinach, feta, and cottage cheese provide the right amount of savor.
- Works perfectly with store-bought phyllo pastry dough.
PHYLLO DOUGH is a thin, flat pastry dough that’s used by layering sheets with butter or oil in between. You’ll be able to find this in the frozen dessert section of your grocery store (near the frozen pie crusts).
CHEESE is a combination of feta cheese and cottage cheese to create simple flavor. While cottage cheese is less expensive, you can also use ricotta cheese in replacement.
FILLING ingredients also include frozen spinach, melted butter, lemon zest, eggs, salt and pepper.
How To Make Spinach Feta Pie
This appetizer is quite easy to put together with a few simple steps.
- Thaw, drain and squeeze out any excess moisture from frozen spinach.
- Combine the filling ingredients according to the full recipe instructions below.
- Slice and layer 8 sheets of phyllo pastry, adding butter between each one.
- Top with spinach filling, followed by last 8 layers of phyllo.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Slice and serve while still warm
- Spinach needs to be completely thawed before making the recipe. You can speed up the process by thawing the package in a bowl of hot water.
- You can squeeze the spinach with your hands first, then use paper towel to finish the job.
- Strain as much liquid as possible from the cottage cheese before using it. Otherwise, you’ll get soggier results.
- Cut the 8 sheets of stacked phyllo pastry dough in half with a pair of scissors or a pizza cutter.
- Use cooking oil instead of melted butter if you prefer.
- Assemble the recipe in advance and store in the fridge until ready to bake. This recipe is best served immediately while still warm.
- Crab Stuffed Zucchini is made with canned crab meat, feta and mozzarella and baked until bubbly golden brown.
- Bacon Cheese Potato Slices are the perfect appetizer for game night.
- Classic Deviled Eggs are an easy, flavorful appetizer.
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Wings are wonderful dipped in ranch dressing.
Did you love this spinach feta pie recipe? Be sure to leave a rating below!
Spinach Feta Pie
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 10 oz frozen spinach - thawed, squeezed and drained
- 17 oz container cottage cheese - drained
- 4 oz crumbled feta cheese - drained
- 2 Tbsp grated lemon peel zest - about 1 whole lemon
- ½ tsp salt and pepper - ½ tsp each
- 1 frozen phyllo dough - 454 g
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Squeeze as much liquid and moisture from thawed spinach as possible. You can use your hands to squeeze and/or paper towel.
- Add ricotta cheese to a strainer to drain the liquid.
- Zest the outside of one 1 lemon with a grater.
- In a large bowl, beat one egg with a fork.
- Add in the spinach, ricotta, feta, lemon, salt and pepper. Mix them together and set aside.
- Cut 8 sheets of phyllo pastry dough in half. This will make 16 sheets.
- Place one sheet of halved phyllo dough on a greased baking sheet. Brush the top with melted butter. Repeat this process of layering with 7 more pieces (8 in total, half of the phyllo dough)
- Add the spinach feta mixture to the top of the stacked phyllo. Spread into an even layer.Now, add the last 8 phyllo sheets, layering them with melted butter in the same way. These stack on top of the spinach feta filling. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until phyllo is golden brown and crispy. Remove and let cool 5 minutes, then slice into servings.
- Serve while still warm and enjoy!