Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie With Hidden Vegetables
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This sweet potato shepherd’s pie is paleo, gluten-free, nut-free and dairy-free. It’s made with three layers: ground beef, mixed vegetables, and topped with mashed sweet potato.
Sweet Potato Casserole
Looking for a healthier twist on traditional shepherd’s pie? You can replace regular potatoes with sweet potatoes and add a layer of hidden vegetables!
I love this recipe because it creates a lot of leftovers. It’s perfect for the gloomy Winter days when you want comfort food that still feels healthy.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the paleo shepherd’s pie:
- Ground Beef Layer – The bottom layer consists of ground beef, tomato paste and spices.
- Vegetable Layer – The vegetable layer is made up of diced carrots, zucchini, and butternut squash.
- Sweet Potato Layer – The top layer is made with mashed sweet potatoes and a bit of butter (or coconut oil).
- Spices – To season the shepherd’s pie you’ll need dried oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and ground pepper.
- Use Extra Lean Ground Beef – Leaner ground beef will contain less fat and produce less grease while cooking.
- Spray The Casserole Dish – Spray the casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. I like to use avocado oil spray.
- Strain The Vegetables – The pulsed vegetables might produce a lot of excess juice. Add them to a kitchen towel, wrap tightly and squeeze the juice out over the sink before you sauté them.
How To Make Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Mash The Sweet Potatoes – Boil the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes until they’re soft. Drain the water from the pot. Add a bit of milk and butter and mash them with a hand mixer.
- Puree The Vegetable Layer – Add the vegetables to a food processor and pulse until they’re chopped small. You can also do this by hand. Sautee them in a skillet for about 8 minutes. Add them to a bowl and set aside.
- Ground Beef Layer – Mix the ground beef with tomato paste and spices in a bowl. Brown the beef in the frying pan (without the vegetables).
- Assembly – Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add the cooked ground beef and spread it into a layer. Add the vegetable layer on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the oven and spread the mashed sweet potato on top. Turn the oven to broil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
More Ground Beef Dinner Recipes
- Keto Vegetable Meatloaf – This meatloaf is made without breadcrumbs. Ground beef is paired with chopped vegetables, and an easy tomato sauce topping. This recipe is healthier than traditional meatloaf – it’s keto, paleo, and diabetic friendly.
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Ground Beef, Pears and Parmesan – a delicious all-in-one dinner.
- Swedish Meatballs (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free) – Made with extra lean ground beef and a dairy-free, gluten-free gravy sauce that’s full of flavor.
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs – A simple meatball recipe is paired with an easy and delicious sweet and sour sauce made with crushed pineapples as the base.
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 onion - diced
- 2 carrots - peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 2 cups butternut squash - fresh or frozen (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 4 cups chopped sweet potato - skin removed
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
Make Sweet Potatoes:
- Add the chopped sweet potato to a pot. Fill with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil, then let simmer until sweet potatoes are soft when poked with a fork.
- Drain the excess water. Add a few chunks of butter or coconut oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mash until smooth and creamy. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Add the chopped vegetables to a food processor or blender.
- Blend until vegetables are small but not pureed. If you don't have a food processor you can chop them small by hand.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add a bit of cooking oil and the vegetables. Season with salt nad pepper and sautee for 5-8 minutes. Pour them into a bowl and set aside.
Ground Beef Base:
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, tomato paste, dried oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together evenly, breaking the ground beef apart with a spatula.
- Add a bit of cooking oil to the frying pan. Cook the ground beef over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. I used avocado oil spray.
- Add the ground beef layer to the bottom of the dish. Spread evenly.
- Spread the chopped vegetable layer on top. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with sweet potato. Spread out smoothly with a spatula. Turn the oven to broil. Place the dish on the top rack and turn to broil for 10-15 minutes. Watch closely making sure the sweet potato doesn't burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before slicing.