Air fryer potato chips are so easy to make and create incredible crunchy results. They’re much healthier than the traditional store-bought potato chips, made with just olive oil, salt and pepper.
These potato chips are healthy, crunchy, and kids usually love them because they’re fun to eat! If you like this recipe, then you’ll also love my crispy air fryer potatoes.
Air Fryer Crispy Potato Chips
These potato chips are really fun to make with kids. I love potatoes so I could easily eat a whole plate myself, but it’s better to share, right?
Some chips come out totally crispy. Some are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle – these were my daughter’s favorite ones. All of them are seasoned with salt and pepper for the perfect classic potato chip!
My Favorite Air Fryer
If you haven’t purchased an air fryer yet and are just learning about all the incredible dishes you can make with one, then I want to share with you my favorite air fryer brand.
I have the Ninja Foodi Deluxe – it’s an all-in-one that allows me to use it as an air fryer, pressure cooker (aka instant pot), it can sear, slow cook, steam, and even bake food!
If you haven’t purchased an air fryer yet, then I highly recommend checking out the Ninja Foodi Deluxe. I love that it replaces multiple tools in the kitchen which saves space and saves time.
Air Fryer Potato Chips Ingredients
You only need four ingredients to make these air fryer potato chips.
- RUSSET POTATOES – I used two large russet potatoes. However, you could use any type of potato: red, white, yellow, fingerling, etc. Sweet potatoes and yams will also work for great this recipe.
- OLIVE OIL – A little bit of oil goes a long way in an air fryer, which is why it’s healthier than traditional frying. I used 1 Tbsp olive oil, but you could also use melted coconut oil, avocado oil or any other cooking oil you have.
- SALT AND PEPPER – Don’t skimp on the sea salt and pepper! These potatoes need to be generously seasoned with s+p to get the right flavor.
How To Make Air Fryer Potato Chips
Crispy potato chips are so easy to make in the air fryer. Everything including prep time and cook time is all done in about 40 minutes.
- Wash and slice the russet potatoes using a mandolin slicer. Add potatoes to a large bowl of cold water and soak for 20 minutes to release excess starch. Rinse, then dry off with a tea towel.
- Add potato slices to a large bowl. Toss with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer for two minutes at 400°F. Add half the sliced potatoes and cook for 20 minutes, then toss or flip. Cook for another 10-20 minutes. Check at 10 minutes to see if they’ve reached your desired crispiness. Cook longer if they haven’t.
Tips For Perfect Crispy Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Preheat your air fryer first. This will give you the best crispy potato chips.
- After soaking, dry off each potato slice with the tea towel. You don’t want any excess moisture to prevent crisping.
- Always toss halfway through to get even cooking.
- Check in the last couple of minutes to make sure they’re not overcooking. Every air fryer is different so it might take a little bit of practice getting used to your temperature and how it works.
- I recommend writing down cooking times in a notebook so you have them for reference later.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – crispy brussels sprouts that remind me of kale chips. Great for a side dish or even a healthy snack to munch on (they’re seriously that good).
- Air Fryer Salmon – you can cook your salmon in an air fryer too! This recipe uses a yummy honey mustard marinade.
- Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes – These are delicious. I will eat a whole bowl of these myself easily.
Air Fryer Potato Chips
- 2 large russet potatoes - washed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper - to taste
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Using a mandolin slicer, slice potatoes into thin pieces. No need to remove the skin.
- Add potato slices to a bowl of cold water and soak for 20 minutes. This will remove the starch.
- Rinse potatoes, then dry throroughly with a tea towel.
- Add to a bowl, drizzle olive oil over top. Generously season with sea salt and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 2 minutes. Lay half the potatoes slices in a single layer. Cook for 20 minutes then flip or toss the potatoes so they cook evenly.
- Cook an additional 10-20 minutes. Start checking after 10 minutes to see if they've reached the desired crispyness.
- Depending on how many potato slices you have, you might have to cook them in smaller batches. This will ensure more even cooking.
- Be sure to toss the potatoes halfway through – either toss the basket or flip them with a spatula (depending on what type of air fryer you have)
- These potato chips taste best when eaten right away. However, if you want to store extra in the fridge, you can reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes when you want to eat them again.