*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Today I have a lentil tortilla soup recipe that is perfect for a chilly day. The beautiful thing about this soup is that you can make it from start to finish in 20 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner. And with the flavorful blend of lentils, black beans, tomatoes, corn – all topped with crushed tortilla chips, green onion and sour cream – you won’t be disappointed.
I’m a big fan of soups because they’re an easy way to load up on vegetables and beans that are inexpensive. Beans are an excellent source of protein, and we’re using two different types today: black beans and lentils. To keep things simple, I used canned beans, canned tomatoes, and frozen corn.
To make the soup all you need to do is chop up 1/2 a red onion and cook for 1 minute along with fresh garlic. Then toss in in the lentils, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, broth, and spices.
The key to a flavorful soup is to serve with fresh toppings: crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, full-fat sour cream, plain greek yogurt, sliced jalapeno, and fresh chopped cilantro. If you’re making this recipe for your family, have these fresh toppings in bowls on the side – that way everyone can choose their favorites.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (15 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the coconut oil and onion, and cook stirring until onion becomes translucent.
- Add in all other ingredients and give everything a quick stir. Season with sea salt and pepper. Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season with more sea salt and pepper and your favorite fresh toppings.
Optional Topping Ideas: Crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, full-fat sour cream, plain greek yogurt, sliced jalapeno, fresh chopped cilantro.
See more family-friendly recipes on our website: www.andianne.com
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 193mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Please note: This nutrition information is only an estimate.
Did you enjoy this post? Share the ❤️ and Pin it to Pinterest!