Lentil Tortilla Soup recipe is vegetarian and loaded with black beans, lentils, tomatoes, and corn. It’s full of flavor and incredibly easy to make. Add fresh toppings like crushed tortilla chips, chopped green onion, freshly squeezed lime and sour cream for a healthy family meal.
Lentil Tortilla Soup
Today I have a lentil tortilla soup recipe that is perfect for a chilly day. The beautiful thing about this soup is that you can make it from start to finish in 20 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner.
With a flavorful blend of lentils, black beans, tomatoes, corn – all topped with crushed tortilla chips, green onion and sour cream. It’s an easy family meal and you won’t be disappointed.
Lentil Tortilla Soup Ingredients
BEANS: I’m a big fan of soups because they’re an easy way to load up on beans that are inexpensive. Beans are an excellent source of protein, and we’re using two different types today: black beans and lentils.
TOMATOES: Crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes are used to create the base of this soup.
SPICES: Garlic, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne powder are used to give this soup loads of flavor.
COCONUT MILK: Coconut milk is used to make the soup extra creamy. You can also use regular milk or non-dairy milk as a substitute.
TOPPINGS: The key to a flavorful soup is to serve it with fresh toppings like crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, full-fat sour cream, plain greek yogurt, sliced jalapeno, and fresh chopped cilantro.
Lentil Tortilla Soup Instructions:
This soup can be prepped and cooked in just 20 minutes!
- Chop up the red onion and cook for one minute with minced garlic in a large pot.
- Add in lentils, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, broth, and spices. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and scoop into bowls.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
- If you’re making this recipe for your family, have these fresh toppings in bowls on the side – that way everyone can choose their favorites.
More Soup Recipes:
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup – rich and creamy
- Ham, Bean and Cabbage Soup – perfect with leftover ham
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Hidden Carrots – sweet and creamy
- Kale Lentil Crockpot Soup – easy and healthy all in a crockpot
Lentil Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion - diced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed - (15 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained - (15 oz)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes - (15 oz)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup canned lentils
- 1 can coconut milk - or 1 ½ cups of milk
- 1 cup water - or vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add in the coconut oil and onion, and cook stirring until onion becomes translucent.
- Add in all other ingredients and give everything a quick stir. Season with sea salt and pepper. Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Season with more sea salt and pepper and your favorite fresh toppings.
- Optional Topping Ideas: Crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, full-fat sour cream, plain greek yogurt, sliced jalapeno, fresh chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Info Note: The actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes and the size and number of what you make. The nutritional values provided above are just an estimate. Actual numbers will vary based on brands you choose and the ingredients you use.
If you’re looking for more specific details (for example, to track your macros) then I recommend adding specific brand ingredients and this recipe to a food tracker app on your phone.