Looking for a great recipe that’s fast and affordable? This tortilla soup is filled with black beans, lentils, tomatoes, corn and spices. The perfect soup to serve on busy weeknights with our herb quick bread recipe.
Add fresh toppings like crushed tortilla chips, chopped green onion, fresh lime and sour cream for an easy healthy meal.
Vegetarian Soup Recipe With Black Beans
Today I have a black bean tortilla soup recipe that is perfect for a chilly day. The beautiful thing about this soup is that you can make it from start to finish in 20 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner. This recipe can also be cooked in an instant pot like our chicken chili recipe.
With a flavorful blend of lentils, black beans, tomatoes, and corn – all topped with crushed tortilla chips, green onion and sour cream. It’s an easy healthy meal that I think you’ll love!
This easy bowl of soup only cost me $5 to make. Vegetarian meals are typically less expensive, which is why I love to incorporate them into my weekly dinner plan. Black beans are an easy and affordable addition to vegetarian recipes including our black bean burgers and add extra protein.
CANNED: Black beans, lentils, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and coconut milk are all dumped in the pot together. Frozen corn or canned corn is added as well.
Coconut milk is an easy dairy-free alternative that can be used in soups like our cod potato chowder recipe. Heavy cream can also be used if you prefer to use dairy.
SPICES: A mixture of cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper are used to flavor the soup.
VARIATIONS: Great additions include cooked chicken breast, shredded rotisserie chicken, green chilies, red bell pepper, and chipotle peppers.
The key to this flavorful soup is to serve it with fresh toppings like crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream, plain greek yogurt, sliced jalapeno, green chiles, and chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with a side of corn tortillas or crispy tortilla strips. Yum!
Quick Tip: If you’re making this recipe for your family, have these fresh toppings in bowls on the side – that way everyone can choose their favorites.
Kitchen Equipment I Used
- 5 Qt DUTCH OVEN: My favorite size for making most dinners (I also have a 4 qt and 7 qt). Cast iron dutch ovens deliver even heat distribution and can be used on the stove and in the oven. They will last you a lifetime! I always make my soups in my 5 qt dutch oven.
- SOUP LADLE: The easiest way to pour soup into bowls. I love my soup ladle with a wood handle and silicone base.
- WOOD SPOON: A flat-tipped wood spatula is great for mixing ingredients without scratching the pot.
How To Make Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
This soup can be prepped and cooked in just 20 minutes!
- Chop up the onion, mince the garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the canned lentils, black beans, frozen corn, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and spices.
- Cook 10 minutes according to full recipe instructions below.
- Scoop into bowls. Serve and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or frozen for up to 6 months. To thaw, defrost the soup in the fridge overnight, then add to a pot and reheat.
More Soup Recipes:
- Turmeric Ginger Carrot Soup is a creamy, sweet-tasting soup that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower Soup is a great detox soup, it’s rich in flavor and loaded with healthy ingredients.
- Healthy Hamburger Soup is a perfect soup for busy weeknights.
- Wild Rice Mushroom Soup uses brown mushrooms and wild rice create a comforting soup recipe.
- Cod, Corn, Potato Chowder is a delicious, creamy soup that is table-ready in under 30 minutes!
Did you love this vegetarian tortilla soup? Be sure to leave a rating below!
Black Bean Tortilla Soup Recipe
- ½ yellow onion - diced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 15 oz canned black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz canned diced tomatoes - drained
- 1 15 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 15 oz coconut milk - or use 1 ½ cups of heavy cream or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water - vegetable broth or chicken broth
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add a bit of cooking oil, the chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook until onion becomes translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in all other ingredients: black beans, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, corn, and lentils. Add the spices: cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and ground pepper. .
- Mix everything together.
- Pour in the coconut milk and water (you can also use heavy cream or vegtable broth).
- Cover the pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop into bowls and serve with fresh toppings including crushed tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, green onions, sliced jalapeno, and cilantro.