These ginger cookies are an easy classic around the holidays, with a soft and chewy texture and a ginger molasses flavor that is simply irresistible. Whether you’re baking with family for the holidays or serving them up at a seasonal party, these festive ginger cookies are sure to be a hit!
Soft Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
The key ingredients in this classic cookie are flour, butter, egg, molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and granulated sugar coating. The molasses, cinnamon and ginger are what give this cookie its distinct warming spice flavor.
I love these cookies because they’re a flavor that almost everyone enjoys. It’s an automatic win to bring to any party and the perfect addition to any cookie exchange.
Not to mention the incredible smell that will take over your home as they bake in the oven. It’s the perfect tradition to enjoy the holiday season.
The full ingredients list can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here is an overview of what you’ll need:
- ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR – This is the base of the cookie dough. Make sure to measure the flour correctly by stirring, spooning, and leveling it.
- MOLASSES – Adds depth of flavor and sweetness.
- BUTTER – Unsalted butter should be softened to room temperature before starting this recipe. Typically, this takes 2-3 hours sitting on the kitchen counter.
- BROWN SUGAR – These cookies are sweetened with dark brown sugar. This can be packed tightly into a measuring cup.
- CINNAMON – Adds warming spice flavor.
- GROUND GINGER – Adds a hint of spiciness that anything gingerbread flavored needs.
- BAKING SODA – Helps the cookies rise and become soft and chewy.
- EGG – Help to bind the ingredients together and create the proper cookie dough structure.
- VANILLA EXTRACT – For extra flavor and a hint of sweetness.
- GRANULATED SUGAR – Used to roll the cookie dough balls in just before baking.
HELPFUL TIP – If you’re a fan of chewy gingerbread cookies, be sure not to overbake them. You want them to be slightly underbaked in the center so that they stay soft and chewy.
How To Make Ginger Cookies
These cookies are quick and easy. Here’s an overview of how to make them with full instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- DRY INGREDIENTS – Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt in a medium bowl.
- WET INGREDIENTS – Blend the butter and brown sugar together with a hand mixer until creamy. Next add in the egg, molasses and vanilla extract. Mix again.
- COMBINE – Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient bowl. Mix together until it is just combined.
- DROP – Roll 1 Tbsp of cookie dough in a bowl of granulated sugar. Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart
- BAKE – Bake for 9-11 minutes at 350°F, or until the edges are set and the centers are slightly soft. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
How To Store
Easily store these cookies on the counter, in the fridge or freezer for when you want to enjoy them. Here’s an overview:
- TO STORE – Cookies can be stored in an airtight container or bag on the counter for up to 3 days. These can also be stored in the fridge for up to one week.
- FREEZE – Personally, I prefer to freeze my cookies! They stay fresh longer and tend to last longer too! Just place cookies in a large freezer bag or container and remove as much air as possible. These can be frozen for up to 6 months for the best freshness.
- Use softened butter – This is an important step in baking cookies. Softened butter mixed with sugar creates small air pockets making them soft and chewy.
- Do not overmix the dough – Overmixing the dough can cause gluten to produce dense cookies. Just mix enough for the cookies to be combined.
- Bake one batch at a time – It’s easier to get evenly baked cookies, otherwise you have to rotate pans halfway through. Cookies only take 8-10 minutes to bake so I prefer to do one batch at a time.
- Use a cookie scoop – If you like the shape of my cookies, it’s because I used a cookie scoop! This will create a shape similar to an ice cream scoop that gets dropped onto the baking sheet. As it bakes, the cookies flatten with a little mound on top.
Nothing beats a classic ginger cookie served with a side of cold milk! These cookies use simple ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, eggs, molasses, cinnamon, and ginger to create a cookie that everyone will love.
More Holiday Cookies To Try
- White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Sugar Cookies Recipe
- Whipped Shortbread Cookies
- Cinnamon Applesauce Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Snowball Cookies
Soft Ginger Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl mix together the all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground sugar, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter with brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg, molasses, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined.
- Roll 2 Tbsp of dough into balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on a baking sheet 2” apart.
- Bake 9-11 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool.