The avocado tuna melt is an easy lunch or dinner idea. Made with canned tuna, avocado, tomato and havarti cheese. You’ll love how simple these sandwiches are to feed your family.
Avocado Tuna Melt
Sometimes we just need a quick meal, and I love sharing easy ideas to help get you out of that boring sandwich rut. There’s so much you can do with a sandwich – From stir fry wraps to breakfast quesadillas, and today we’re making a fast tuna melt with avocado and tomatoes.
This sandwich is crispy on the outside. There’s no mayo (although you could add some if you’d like). The recipe uses dijon mustard to add some zing to the tuna which is then layered in havarti cheese. It’s yummy and I think your family will like it.
You can make this entire recipe in 10 minutes. If you’ve got a family to feed, you can easily double or triple the recipe and batch cook them all together in a large frying pan. No one said you can’t have sandwich nights for dinner!
Avocado Tuna Melt Ingredients
This easy recipe comes together with a few main ingredients:
- Bread – I love to use Silver Hills sprouted bread, but I think it’s only available in Canada. Looks like Dave’s Killer sprouted bread is a good alternative in the US. Sprouted grains tend to be easier to digest.
- Tuna – You can use any kind of canned tuna you’d like. I recommend choosing sustainable canned tuna. You can read more about this on the Monterey Bay Aquarium website. Usually, if it’s sustainable, it will have the MSC label on the packaging. Drain out any excess liquid before adding it to a mixing bowl.
- Avocado – To add a good dose of healthy fats, I used 1/2 of a ripe avocado. If you’re not an avocado fan, you can skip it.
- Cheese – I used two Havarti cheese slices for each sandwich. You can use any kind of cheese that you want.
- Tomato – Sliced tomatoes add a nice contrast to the tuna. I used one roma tomato.
- Spices + Sauces – To flavor the tuna, I kept things simple with dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Butter – To add that perfect crunch to the toast, spread a bit of salted butter on the outside of each slice.
Avocado Tuna Melt Directions
This avocado tuna melt will be ready in 10 minutes. Here’s how to make it:
- Mix Tuna – Drain the canned tuna from all liquid and add it to a bowl. Mash 1/2 of an avocado and add it to the same bowl along with dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Layer Sandwich – Spread butter onto one side of two bread slices. Lay one slice butter side down on the frying pan. Add cheese, then tuna mixture, then tomato slices, then another cheese slice. Top with bread that has butter side facing up.
- Cook – Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side over medium heat. The sandwich will be ready when the bread is golden brown and crispy. Slice in half and serve.
More Easy Meal Ideas
Here’s some other great sandwich and wrap ideas to serve for lunch or dinner:
- Zucchini Spinach Egg Quesadilla – These are yummy and taste great with a side of salsa.
- Chickpea Zucchini Stir Fry Wraps – Want an easy meal? These wraps are made using a quick healthy stir fry.
- Mashed Chickpea Wraps – So simple to make and great for school lunches.
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps – Loaded with flavor and the perfect fast meal to feed your family.
- Grilled Zucchini Hummus Wrap – An easy wrap with a crispy outside and grilled vegetables inside.
Avocado Tuna Melt
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the back of a fork. Add in the canned tuna, dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- Spread the butter onto one side of each piece of bread.
- Place one bread slice butter-side down onto the a frying pan. Add one slice of havarti and avocado tuna mixture on top.
- Add tomato slices.
- Top with another havarti slice.
- Place the bread on top.
- Cook on low medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is golden and crispy. Slice in half and serve immediately with your favorite raw veggies.
The nutritional information provided is an estimate and is per serving.