Carrot apple cabbage coleslaw is made with sliced cabbage, shredded carrots, red apple, parsley, pumpkin seeds and a paleo mayonnaise dressing. It’s a great salad to put together as a side dish for dinner or meal prep for easy lunches.
Carrot Apple Cabbage Coleslaw
This salad is full of flavor! It’s my husband’s new favorite.
Made with a variety of simple, affordable vegetables and combined with an easy dressing. I used paleo-friendly mayonnaise for the base but you can use regular mayonnaise as well.
With a bit of shredding and chopping, you’ll put together a beautiful salad that’s full of color and nutrition. This salad can be paired with almost any recipe. Serve with chicken, burgers, pork roast, and steak. It’s a great recipe to have for any time of the year.
Carrot Apple Cabbage Coleslaw Ingredients
- Red Cabbage – Look for a small purple cabbage, not a big one. You’ll need half of the cabbage (about 3 cups sliced thin).
- Carrots – You’ll need 2 cups of shredded carrots.
- Apple – 1 chopped apple is used. You can slice it thin or cut into cubes
- Parsley – 1/2 a cup of chopped parsley (this is optional if you don’t like parsley)
- Red Onion – Slice the red onion thin and then into smaller pieces.
- Pumpkin Seeds – You can use raw or roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Dressing – the dressing is made from mayonnaise (I used a non-dairy version), apple cider vinegar and salt.
The Dairy-Free Mayonnaise I Use
I love chosen foods classic mayonnaise. It’s made with pure avocado oil, cage-free eggs, organic vinegar, organic mustard, and spices.
Most other store-bought mayonnaise uses canola oil, sugar, and preservatives.
If you’re looking for mayonnaise that’s sugar-free, uses unrefined oil, is paleo-friendly, and can be used on candida and diabetic diets, then this is a good option to try. I buy mine at Costco. If you can’t find it locally, you can order it online here.
How To Make The Carrot Apple Cabbage Coleslaw
- Shred the Carrots – You can use a cheese grater, food processor or mandolin slicer to shred the carrots.
- Chop the Cabbage – Slice the cabbage into thin strips.
- Slice The Apple – You can chop the apple into thin slices or small cubes.
- Assemble The Salad – Add the cabbage, carrots, apple, red onion, parsley and pumpkin seeds to a large bowl.
- Toss With Dressing – In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and salt. Pour overtop of the salad and toss together until evenly coated.
How To Store Coleslaw
This salad stores well in the fridge, all thanks to the hearty vegetables used. You can store it in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
More Healthy Salads To Try
- Fall Harvest Salad with Delicata Squash – made with delicata squash, pomegranate and kale. It’s a beautiful feast for the eyes.
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Salad with Maple Dijon Dressing – loaded with delicious ingredients including marinated baked chicken, crispy bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, and avocado
- Ranch Taco Chicken Salad – made with delicious vegetables, cooked chicken, black beans, cheddar cheese and crunchy tortilla chips.
- Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Avocado Dressing – simple, yet flavorful with roasted sweet potatoes, tangy parmesan cheese and a creamy dressing.
- Asparagus Tomato Feta Salad – so simple to put together and can be made in less than 10 minutes.
Carrot Apple Cabbage Coleslaw
- ½ small red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 sliced apple
- ½ red onion - chopped
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Wash, chop and prep all the salad ingredients: Thinly slice the cabbage, shred the carrots, slice the apples, chop the parsley, slice the red onion.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, apple, onion, parsley and pumpkin seeds to a large serving bowl.
- In a smaller bowl add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar and salt. Mix together.
- Pour the dressing overtop of the salad and toss together until everything is combined. Serve and enjoy!