Sweet potato kale salad is made with an avocado dressing. This salad recipe is simple, yet flavorful with roasted sweet potatoes, tangy parmesan cheese and a creamy dressing. Serve this as a side salad for pork chops, steak or chicken, or eat on its own as it’s very filling!
Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Avocado Dressing
I love a good salad recipe! If a salad is gooood, I will gladly eat the whole bowl. Well, this one is no exception. It’s a really simple salad but full of flavor.
Roasted sweet potatoes are combined with kale and topped with the perfect creamy dressing. This recipe will fill you up with healthy carbs (sweet potato) and healthy fats (avocado) without feeling bloated afterward.
To roast your sweet potatoes you can either bake them in the oven or use your air fryer. I used my air fryer because I’m a big fan. In the past, I’ve roasted brussels sprouts and potatoes in the air fryer – both of which are totally delicious.
I have the Ninja Foodi Deluxe – it’s an all-in-one that allows me to use it as an air fryer, instant pot, sear, slow cook, steam and even bake food.
Sweet Potato Kale Salad Ingredients
Roasted Sweet Potatoes – You’ll need one large sweet potato combined with a mixture of spices including dried rosemary, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Kale Mix – You’ll need one large bunch of kale which is flavored with olive oil, parmesan cheese and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Avocado Dressing – I used one ripe avocado, along with fresh lemon juice, water, olive oil, garlic clove, cumin, salt and pepper.
Sweet Potato Kale Salad Instructions
Roast The Sweet Potatoes – The first step you’ll need to do is to roast the sweet potatoes. This can be done in the oven or an air fryer. I’ve included full instructions for both options in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Massage The Kale – First, you’ll need to remove the kale from the large stem. Then rip it into small bite-sized pieces. Wash and drain using a salad spinner.
In a large bowl, add the kale along with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Use your hands to grab and squeeze the kale. This is called “massaging” and will help to break down the kale to make it easier to chew and digest. I usually do this for 1-2 minutes. Once that’s done, you can add in the grated parmesan cheese and toss together.
Avocado Dressing – This dressing is creamy and delicious. It makes the perfect sauce for this salad recipe. To make it, add 1 ripe avocado to a blender along with one juiced lemon, water, olive oil, garlic clove, cumin, salt and pepper. Blend on low until it’s smooth and creamy. Use a spatula to scoop the dressing into a bowl.
Assemble the salad – Add the sweet potato to the kale salad and toss it together. Serve and drizzle the avocado dressing on top.
More Salad Recipes To Try
- Kale Caesar Salad – a fresh take on the classic caesar salad. It’s so yummy you might want to eat the whole bowl!
- BLT Pasta Salad – this salad is great for picnics or potlucks.
- Watermelon Arugula Salad – fresh and tangy, this salad is wonderful in the summertime.
- Honey Dijon Quinoa Salad – high in protein (from quinoa) and delicious.
- Homemade Cobb Salad – still my favorite salad ever.
- Garden Salad With Herb Dressing – an easy side salad for dinnertime.
Sweet Potato Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale - destemmed, washed and ripped into small pieces
- 1 lemon, juiced - (about 3 Tbsp)
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into small cubes. In a bowl, combine seasonings and toss with the sweet potato until it's completely covered.
- Baking Instructions: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the sweet potato on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 18 minutes or until sweet potato is cooked and edges are slightly crispy.
- Air Fryer Instructions: Preheat air fryer to 390°F for 2 mins. Pour sweet potato onto air fryer rack and bake for 16-18 minutes. Give a quick toss halfway through.
- Remove the kale from the stem and rip into small bite size pieces. Wash and dry the kale, then add to a large bowl. Add fresh lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp olive oil to the bowl. Use your hands to squeeze the kale and "massage" it for 2-3 minutes. This will help to break down the kale and make it easier to digest.
- Add in the freshly grated parmesan cheese and toss together.
- In a blender, combine the salad dressing ingredients: ripe avocado, lemon juice, water, olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Blend on low until smooth and creamy. Use a spatula to scoop the dressing into a small bowl.
- Add the roasted sweet potatoes to the salad. Toss together and add to serving plates.
- Drizzle the dressing overtop of each plate with a spoon. You can also add dressing directly to the large bowl and toss together then.
- The sweet potato can either be baked or cooked in an air fryer. I’ve included instructions for both.
- This salad can be meal-prepped for easy lunches. Add to mason jars in this order: a spoonful of avocado dressing at the bottom, kale, then roasted sweet potato on top. When you’re ready to eat, give them a quick shake and eat with a fork.