*This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Cobb Salad Recipe
Cobb Salad is a combination of chicken, cheese, tomatoes, eggs, avocado, bacon, romaine lettuce, and homemade salad dressing. This style of salad requires a little more prep work than you’re used to, but it is totally worth it! All of these ingredients together make for one satisfying and healthy meal.
This cobb salad is enough to make two servings, so split it with your partner at lunchtime, or wrap up the leftovers to eat for dinner.
COBB SALAD INGREDIENTS
If you haven’t tried making a Cobb Salad before, it’s worth it. Yes, it can take a little longer to cook and prep all the ingredients (like the chicken breast, boiled egg, and bacon), but when you combine them all together in this delicious salad, you won’t be disappointed.
Here’s what’s included in the Cobb Salad:
- Romaine lettuce
- Chicken breast
- Cheese (I used marble cheese but you can use any kind)
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- Hard-boiled eggs
To make the prep a little easier, I cooked in stages. I cooked a big batch of hard-boiled eggs on Sunday. Then I baked chicken breasts for dinner last night and saved one for this recipe. And this morning for breakfast we had bacon and I reserved 4 pieces for this salad.
HOW TO MAKE A COBB SALAD
The magic of a cobb salad is all about the presentation. By assembling the ingredients in rows, you’re left with a rainbow of colors and flavors.
- Wash, chop, cook, and prep all the ingredients.
- Lay a bed of green lettuce over the entire plate.
- Create a strip of chicken, followed by cheese.
- Next, add the tomatoes and eggs.
- Last, the avocado and bacon.
- Make your homemade salad dressing and drizzle on top.
WHAT KIND OF DRESSING GOES ON A COBB SALAD?
I made a salad dressing with olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper. Any time I’m making a salad dressing, I do this as a trick: I just dump all the ingredients in a mason jar, seal with a lid, then give it a shake. It’s easy to drizzle over top of your salad, and you can seal with the lid and store the extra dressing in the fridge.
Homemade salad dressings are always my go-to choice. I don’t buy salad dressings from the store anymore… why? because they’re expensive for what you’re getting, the ingredients aren’t nearly as good of quality as if you were to make it at home, annnd store-bought dressings are loaded with sugar! So save yourself some money and learn to make your own salad dressings from scratch.
More Delicious Salad Recipes:
- BLT Pasta Salad – creamy and perfect for picnics or potlucks.
- Watermelon Arugula Salad – so light and refreshing!
- Kale Caesar Salad – a healthier version of this classic recipe.
- Garden Salad with Herb Dressing – save this recipe as a great side dish for chicken or pork.
- Honey Dijon Quinoa Salad – another great side salad, high in protein from the quinoa.
- 2 hard boiled eggs - sliced thin
- 4 strips cooked bacon - chopped small
- 1 cooked boneless chicken breast - chopped small
- 5 cups green lettuce - roughly chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- ½ cup cheese - cubed
- 1 ripe avocado - sliced into bite size pieces
- In advance, hard-boil the eggs, cook the bacon, and cook the chicken breast. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Wash and chop the green lettuce, grape tomatoes, cheese, and slice the avocado. Set everything aside.
- Prepare the salad dressing: add olive oil, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and sea salt and ground pepper in to a mason jar. Seal with a lid and shake it up to mix everything together. Set aside.
- In a bowl or on a plate, lay a bed of green lettuce. On top, create rows of chicken, cheese, tomato, egg, avocado, and bacon. Pour the salad dressing over top. Serve and enjoy!