Chocolate protein chia bites are an easy way to load up on protein, healthy fats and antioxidants. Add them to your yogurt, smoothie bowls or eat them on their own.
Chocolate Protein Chia Bites
These chocolate protein chia bites are a simple way to add more superfoods to your diet. Chia seeds, hemp seeds, protein powder and cacao nibs are all incredible ingredients to add protein, healthy fats and antioxidants.
These bites are no-bake. They’re simple and healthy and a great snack to share with your family. You can eat them on their own, or add to yogurt, on top of smoothie bowls, healthy banana splits or on top of whipped coconut cream.
Chocolate Protein Chia Bites Ingredients
These bites are loaded with a variety of superfoods:
- Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are a great source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and protein.
- Hemp Seeds – Hemp seeds are another great source of protein.
- Protein Powder – Not all protein powders are created equal! Some might cause bloating or digestion problems – so you might have to try a few before you find one that works for your body. I really love the Iron Vegan Sprouted Protein Powder. I also use this protein powder in my smoothies.
- Cacao Nibs or Chocolate Chips – I used cacao nibs – these are very different than regular chocolate chips and do not taste sweet. They’re actually made from crushed cocoa beans and are full of antioxidants. You can also use chocolate chips instead – look for 70% dark chocolate chips which will have minimal refined sugar added to them and will be primarily made from cacao.
- Cacao Powder – Did you know that cacao powder is healthier than cocoa powder!? Yes, they look the same but they’re actually not. Cacao powder can be a healthier substitute for your baking recipes. It’s a source of protein, magnesium, iron, potassium, and fiber. You can usually find this in the “health foods” section of your store, or you can purchase it online. If you prefer to use cocoa powder, that will also work in this recipe.
- Nut Butter or Seed Butter –
- Sweetener – I used 100% pure maple syrup. You can also use monkfruit sweetener, honey or any other sweetener you like.
- Coconut Oil – Here’s a tip: If you don’t like the coconut taste, look for a refined coconut oil like this one. Refined coconut oil is made from the meat that’s filtered and dried before pressing into the oil. It has a neutral flavor.
Chocolate Protein Chia Bites Directions
The bites come together in three simple steps. Scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe card.
- Melt – Add coconut oil, maple syrup (or other sweetener), and nut butter or seed butter to a saucepan. Heat and stir until melted.
- Mix – Add other ingredients to a bowl and mix: cocoa powder, cacao nibs (or chocolate chips), hemp seeds, chia seeds and protein powder. Pour the saucepan ingredients on top and mix together.
- Press and Chill – Press the chia bite mixture into a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Chill for 1-2 hours then break apart into bite-size pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
More Recipes To Try
- Chocolate Avocado Cookies – Made with oat flour and arrowroot powder as the base and delicious chocolate chunks. These cookies are addicting and kids love them!
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – These remind me of the classic cookies my mom used to make but with a healthier upgrade.
- Banana Cranberry Breakfast Cookies – These easy breakfast cookies can be whipped up fast without a lot of fuss.
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins – Made with grated zucchini and chocolate chips, they’ll have you pleasantly surprised and craving more after the first bite.
- Chocolate Quinoa Bliss Balls – Made with healthy ingredients like quinoa, dates and pumpkin seeds, and you’ll be surprised at how much you’ll love them!
If you like this recipe, please rate it using the stars below.
Chocolate Protein Chia Bites
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut oil, maple syrup (or other sweetener), nut or seed butter until it melts together 2-3 minutes. Stir often to avoid burning.
- In a bowl, combine cacao powder, cacao nibs (or chocolate chips), hemp seeds, chia seeds and protein powder.
- Pour the heated mixture into the bowl and mix everything together. Press into a dish lined with parchment paper. Let chill for 1-2 hours before breaking apart into bite size pieces. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.