Honey mustard chicken is a classic dish and favorite among many for its sweet and tangy flavor and versatility in preparation. Whether you prefer to bake or grill your chicken, honey mustard marinade is the perfect addition to take your meal to the next level.
For more flavor ideas check out our 8 chicken marinade recipes.
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious recipe, honey mustard chicken is a great option. This recipe is perfect for chicken breasts or chicken thighs, and can be made boneless or with the skin on.
- The sweet and tangy flavors of the honey mustard marinade make for a tasty and satisfying meal.
- It’s a healthy option that you can serve with a side of vegetables or salad for a complete and balanced meal.
- This recipe is incredibly easy to make. With just a few ingredients and simple steps, you can have a delicious meal on the table in no time.
- Whether you’re a beginner cook or an experienced chef, honey mustard chicken is a recipe that anyone can master.
There are several ways to cook honey mustard chicken. You can bake it in the oven, grill it, air fry the chicken or even cook it in a slow cooker.
- Baking is a popular method because it’s easy and requires minimal effort.
- Grilling is great if you want that charred flavor and crispy skin.
- Slow cooking is perfect if you want the chicken to be tender and juicy.
Honey Mustard Chicken Ingredients
With simple ingredients, you can make this easy chicken recipe that is perfect for any occasion. Here’s what you’ll need with full instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post:
- CHICKEN BREAST – You will need about 4 medium chicken breasts for this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs or drumsticks if you prefer.
- OLIVE OIL – This oil will be used to coat the chicken and add moisture while it marinates. If you don’t have olive oil, you can use avocado oil, vegetable or canola oil as a substitute.
- LEMON JUICE – Fresh lemon juice adds a tangy flavor to the marinade. If you don’t have lemons, you can use white vinegar instead.
- HONEY – Honey adds sweetness and pairs wonderfully with mustard. If you don’t have honey, you can use maple syrup or granulated sugar.
- DIJON MUSTARD – Dijon mustard adds a little tangy flavor to the marinade. If you don’t have Dijon mustard, you can use whole-grain mustard or yellow mustard as a substitute.
- GARLIC CLOVES – Fresh garlic brings out all of the flavors in the marinade. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder.
- SALT AND PEPPER – Salt and pepper are used to season the chicken. Use as much or as little as you like.
- Massage the bag to ensure the chicken is fully coated and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the marinade and discard any excess marinade.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels before cooking to ensure a crispy exterior.
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken
Honey mustard chicken is a versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides, such as roasted vegetables green beans, rice, or salad. Here’s how to make it with more details in the recipe card at the bottom of this post:
- MAKE MARINADE – In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, lemon juice, honey, dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- MARINATE THE CHICKEN – Place 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a bowl (or plastic bag) with the honey mustard chicken marinade, making sure each piece is fully coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- PREP – Preheat your oven to 400°F. Grease a large baking dish or baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
- BAKE – Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it in the greased baking dish. Drizzle a little bit of extra leftover marinade on top and discard the rest. Bake chicken in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- BRUSH THE CHICKEN – In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard. Brush the honey mustard mixture over the chicken during the last 5-10 minutes of baking. Bake until the chicken is cooked and golden brown. Remove from oven and let the baked chicken sit for 5 minutes before serving.
What are some side dishes that pair well with honey mustard chicken?
Honey mustard chicken pairs well with roasted vegetables, green beans, rice pilaf, mashed potatoes, and green salads. You can also serve it with a side of fresh fruit or crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
How To Store Leftovers
If you have any leftovers you can store them in the fridge, freezer, and reheat it when you’re ready to eat. Here’s how:
FRIDGE – Once the chicken has cooled down, transfer it to an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Store the chicken in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
FREEZE – If you don’t plan on eating the chicken within 3-4 days, you can freeze it. Transfer the cooked chicken into an airtight container or, place the chicken in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
THAWING – Thaw frozen chicken in the fridge overnight. If you’re in a hurry, you can also thaw the chicken in the microwave using the defrost setting.
REHEAT – To reheat the chicken, you can use the microwave or the oven. If using the microwave, place the chicken on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
If using the oven, preheat it to 350°F. Place the chicken in an oven-safe dish and cover it with foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Tips For Baking Chicken
By following these tips, you can bake the perfect honey mustard chicken every time:
- USE A MEAT THERMOMETER – To ensure that your chicken is fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken, making sure that it does not touch the bone. The chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- LINE YOUR BAKING DISH – Line the baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper. This will prevent the chicken from sticking to the dish and make it easier to clean.
- LET IT REST – After baking your chicken, let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it more tender and juicy.
Honey mustard chicken is a delicious and easy recipe that you can make for any occasion. To make this recipe, all you need is some chicken, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Mix the marinade ingredients together, coat the chicken, and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes overnight. Then, grill or bake the marinated chicken until it’s cooked through. Brush on a homemade honey mustard sauce in the last few minutes.
More Chicken Breast Recipes
- Cream of Chicken Soup with Chicken Breasts
- Baked Salsa Mozzarella Chicken
- Baked Orange Ginger Chicken Breasts
- Ranch Chicken Breasts
- Maple Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Pizza Chicken
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the chicken to a large bowl. Pour the marinade on top and toss to coat. Seal with a lid, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes minimum, up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place chicken breast on the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard.
- Bake boneless chicken breast for 25-30 minutes, or until fully cooked. Brush the honey mustard mixture over the chicken during the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked and golden brown, and reaches internal temperature of 165°F with meat thermometer. Remove from oven and let the baked chicken sit for 5 minutes before serving.
The nutritional information provided is an estimate and is per serving.