Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken is an extremely easy-to-make meal packed with creamy rich flavor. You’ll want to nestle down with this meal at the end of the day. It’s a dish that looks and tastes like it requires complex and elaborate preparation but that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Creamy Basil and Tomato Chicken
This recipe is seriously easy to prepare considering the results. Once everything is combined no more work is required! Let the slow cooker work its magic. We love this creamy marinara sauce combined with chicken because the cream, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper release an abundance of flavor in every bite.
All the ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find. Here’s an overview of what you’ll need.
Grab a detailed ingredients list in the recipe card at the bottom of this blog post.
- CAN OF DICED TOMATOES – Tomatoes are the base for this sauce and they provide a tangy flavor that’s easily enhanced with the right herbs and spices.
- CUP MARINARA SAUCE – This will be used to carry more complex flavors throughout the sauce when the rest of the ingredients are added.
- HEAVY CREAM – This is where the sauce gets its creamy thick consistency.
- CORN STARCH – Corn starch helps to thicken the sauce to your desired thickness.
- GARLIC POWDER – Garlic has a unique flavor that works perfectly with tomato and chicken.
- DRIED BASIL – Basil is a beloved herb when it comes to tomato sauces adding a distinctive and fresh flavor.
- SALT – The right amount of salt helps enhance the flavors found in the sauce.
- BLACK PEPPER – A little bit of black pepper adds an edge to the sauce. Add more slowly and taste as you go for a spicier dish.
- CHICKEN BREASTS – Chicken will absorb flavors while in the crockpot. Whole chicken breasts opposed to chopped will maintain moisture and not become too dried out.
- FRESH BASIL Fresh basil on top of the dish adds pleasant bursts of flavor, this is the final ingredient that makes a big difference because the fresh basil complements the creamy sauce and chicken so well.
- PASTA OR RICE TO SERVE – Either one will round out the meal perfectly because what’s a delicious sauce without some tasty carbs that will fill you up?
How to make Tomato and Basil Creamy Chicken
Once all your ingredients are out, combining them together in the slow cooker is straightforward. You’re almost already done!
Here’s how to make the recipe with full details in the printable recipe card at the bottom.
- COMBINE – Add the canned diced tomatoes (with juices), marinara sauce, garlic powder, dried basil, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker and mix together.
- sTHICKEN – In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with cream then pour it into the slow cooker.
- ADD CHICKEN – Place the chicken breasts into the sauce in a single layer so that they are not stacked on top of each other.
- SET IT AND FORGET IT –Cover and cook on low3-5 hrs, or until chicken is cooked.
- TOPPING –Roughly chop the fresh basil and stir it in just before serving.
- SIDES – Serve chicken and sauce over top of pasta or rice.
How to Store
Like most meals this meal is best served fresh, right after it’s cooked but it will keep in the refrigerator or freezer for future meals.
- REFRIGERATE – Leftovers of this recipe can be stored in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- FREEZE – Because of the cream sauce, I don’t recommend freezing this recipe. The sauce will get a grainy texture after being frozen and it isn’t that good.
- TO REHEAT – For best results, microwave or transfer leftovers to a pot with a lid and re-heat on your stovetop.
- Add wine – This will draw out deeper flavors from the ingredients in the sauce. Wine adds a distinct bold richness.
- Brown the chicken – Browning the chicken in the frying pan with oil will seal in its juices and add flavor.
With its thick creamy sauce this protein-rich, easy-to-prepare meal is a perfect family dinner for a busy parent. Treat yourself to a meal that seems like it came from a restaurant that you actually made with little effort.
Similar recipes to try
- Slow Cooker Soy Sauce Chicken
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef with Mashed Potatoes
- Honey Mustard Chicken
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken
- Add the canned diced tomatoes (with juices), marinara sauce, garlic powdr, dried basil, salt and pepper to the slow cooker and mix together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the corn starch with cream.
- Pour corn starch and cream mixture it into the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken breasts into the sauce in a single layer so that they are not stacked on top of eachother.
- Cover and cook on low3-5 hrs, or until chicken is cooked.
- Cook your choice of pasta or rice
- Roughly chop the fresh basil and stir it in just before serving.
The nutritional information provided is an estimate and is per serving.