Loaded Sweet Potato Soup
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This sweet potato soup is packed to the brim with delicious vegetables. It’s vegetarian, full of fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. Serve it for dinner or meal prep it for a week of lunches. Either way, you’re gonna love this soup with a variety of textures and hint of sweetness.
Sweet Potato Soup
I think I’ve found my new lunch soup recipe. After making cauliflower soup and carrot tomato soup for the last few months (both of which are delicious btw), I’m ready for a change. Well, this soup is a new favorite! With a variety of flavors, textures, and colors you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Although this soup is vegetarian, it still has protein from the lentils. It’s also quite filling.
My biggest tip is to stop cooking when the carrots and sweet potatoes are slightly undercooked – you don’t want them to overcook because they’ll create a mushy soup.
This sweet potato soup is also budget-friendly! When you skip using meat you can save a lot of money. All together this soup cost less than $7 to make (and it has six servings). I love making food at home from scratch because you can save money, choose better quality, healthier ingredients and feel good with what you’re feeding your family.
Sweet Potato Soup Ingredients
This soup is packed to the brim with goodness:
- Sweet Potato – This recipe uses 3 cups of chopped sweet potato, which is about half of a medium sweet potato.
- Carrots – You’ll need two peeled and chopped carrots.
- Celery – Two celery stalks, chopped.
- Diced Tomatoes – I used one 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes for this soup.
- Lentils – You can use canned lentils, drained and rinsed which equals 2 cups worth.
- Onion – One onion, chopped.
- Vegetable Broth – One carton of vegetable broth or chicken broth will work.
- Spices – You’ll need 1 bay leaf, dried thyme, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Sweet Potato Soup Directions
It all comes together in a few simple steps. First, sautee the veggies, next add all the ingredients and let simmer:
- Grab all the ingredients and set them on the counter. Next, wash peel and chop all the vegetables.
- Sautee onion and garlic in a large soup pot with a bit of cooking oil or butter (I used coconut oil) until onion turns translucent, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots, and sweet potato – Sautee for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in all other ingredients – diced tomatoes, lentils, broth, bay leaf, dried tyme, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes – or until carrots and sweet potatoes are soft when poked with a fork. Remove from heat, scoop into bowls and serve!
The full instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Just keep scrolling…
More Soup Recipes To Try
Here are some more delicious soup ideas:
- Creamy Carrot Tomato Soup – A fresh take on the classic tomato soup recipe we all know and love.
- Healthy Hamburger Soup – Loaded with vegetables and extra lean ground beef. It’s the perfect soup for busy weeknights.
- Ground Turkey Soup with Kale and Beans – This recipe is delicious! It has the right mix of everything you need. Eat it for lunch or dinner.
- Lentil Tortilla Soup – It’s full of flavor and incredibly easy to make.
- Pureed Cauliflower Soup – One of my favorite soups to meal prep for healthy lunches.
FOLLOW ALONG: Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Youtube and Facebook and for the latest updates, recipes and content! If you love this recipe, give it a star rating ★ below.
Loaded Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 onion - diced
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 2 carrots - peeled and chopped
- 3 cups sweet potato - peeled and chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes - 15 oz (2 cups)
- 1 can lentils - about 2 cups
- 5 cups vegetable broth - or 946 ml broth carton
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add some cooking oil, onions and minced garlic. Sautee for 2 minutes or until onions turn translucent.
- Add in the celery, carrots and sweet potato. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients: lentils, broth, bay leaf, dried thyme, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix the soup, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to let simmer for 15-20 minutes. The soup is done when carrots and sweet potato are soft when poked with a fork. Remove from heat, scoop into bowls and enjoy!
- Storage Instructions: This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It can also be added to the freezer for up to 2 months.