TATER TOT CASSEROLE is a creamy, crunchy, and savory comfort food recipe that requires simple and inexpensive ingredients. If you’re seeking an easy-to-make dish packed with flavor and a variety of texture in every bite, make the Tater Tot Casserole your next crowd-pleaser.
Ground Beef and Tater Tot Casserole
Who doesn’t love budget-friendly, time-saving meals? Casserole recipes like our Ultimate Chicken Casserole and our Ham and Cheese Pasta Casserole are beloved in this household because just like this Potato and Beef Casserole, they satisfy our comfort food cravings and provide a healthy serving of protein.
To make this recipe you’re going to need Tater Tots, ground beef, sour cream, corn, cheese, onion, garlic, mushroom soup and a few herbs.
The full ingredients list can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
The main ingredients in this recipe are the Tater Tots and the ground beef which are a solid base for a comfort food dish. The cheese, soup, corn, garlic, and onions add savory flavor, sweetness, and texture.
Here’s a brief overview of the ingredients you’ll need:
- LEAN GROUND BEEF – This is the base for the casserole, it’s the protein portion of the dish, when mixed with garlic, soup, and onion it’s also the savory part of the casserole.
- ONION – Ground beef and onion go well together, it’s the perfect flavor to add. It also keeps the beef from getting too dry.
- GARLIC, SALT AND HERBS – This will enhance the flavor of the beef.
- SOUR CREAM – Sour cream will thicken the recipe.
- CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP – It wouldn’t be an indulgent comfort food without this addition. The soup will round out the base layer of our ground beef and Tater Tot Casserole.
- FROZEN CORN – The corn adds a pleasant sweetness and color to the dish.
- CHEDDAR CHEEZE – There’s something about baked cheese that everyone seems to love.
- TATER TOTS – When done right the Tater Tots become nice and crispy.
How to make Tater Tot Casserole
This recipe is easy to make and it actually quite difficult to get wrong. Here’s an overview of how to make it with full instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Add the ground beef and onion to a frying pan. Cook and stir occasionally until the beef has browned.
- Add the ranch dressing mix and garlic.
- Reduce heat and add the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, corn, and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix together.
- Add to a casserole dish. Spread into an even layer, sprinkle on the last half of the cheese and add Tater Tots on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes uncovered.
How to store
This meal can be made now and baked later as a preplanned dinner. Here are a few tips for storing your premade and leftover casserole.
- REFRIGERATE – This recipe will last 2 days uncooked and 3 days fully cooked. Remember the ingredients will start to get soggy, the longer you store it making it more difficult to get that crispy top on the Tater Tots.
- FREEZE – You can freeze the precooked dish for 3 months before baking.
- REHEAT – Reheat this recipe in the microwave for a few minutes or in the oven at 350°F till crisp again. I recommend the oven for the best flavor and texture.
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect casserole:
- LEAVE SPACE – Try to keep the Tater Tots from overlapping, if they’re piled on one another they will not have a chance to get crispy.
- DRAIN LIQUID – After the beef is browned make sure to drain any liquid left behind. If your casserole has too much water, you might end up steaming the casserole into a soggy wet dish.
- TASTE AS YOU GO – Add salt, pepper, and herbs to the beef/soup mixture and taste as you go.
- EXPERIMENT – Experiment with different combinations to find your favorite variation of this hearty dish. Add green beans in place of corn, add cayenne or black pepper to the beef for a spicy dish, or use cream of chicken in place of Mushroom soup.
Sometimes it’s nice to indulge in a rich hearty meal that’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face. The Tater Tot casserole does just that and more.
More Casserole Recipes
If you love the simplicity, the ease of casserole recipes, and lots of leftovers then you’ll also love these recipes:
- Ultimate Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Olive Pasta Bake
- Beef Cabbage Roll Casserole
- Pizza Pasta Bake
- Ham Cheese Pasta Casserole
- Tortellini Cheese Casserole
- Bacon and Cheese Pancake Casserole
- Hamburger Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Add the ground beef and chopped onion to a frying pan over medium high heat. Cook and stir occasionally until beef has brown. Drain the excess grease by running a folded paper towel through the beef with a spatula.
- Add the garlic and herb spice mix and chopped garlic. Stir together and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce to medium heat and add the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, corn and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix together and cook 2 minutes.
- Add to a 9×13 casserole dish. Spread into an even layer. Sprinkle on the last half of cheese. Arrange tater tots in rows on top.
- Bake 45 minutes uncovered, or until tater tots are golden brown and casserole is bubbling.
- Serve hot.
The nutritional information provided is an estimate and is per serving.