Chicken noodle soup is a classic comfort food. It’s a warm and hearty dish that can be easily customized to fit any taste preferences. Our best chicken noodle soup recipe consists of flavorful chicken, healthy vegetables, tender noodles, all in a comforting broth.
Chicken Noodle Soup
We love classic comforting soup recipes like our creamy chicken taco soup, easy hamburger soup, simple kid-friendly tomato pasta soup, and of course this chicken noodle soup recipe!
- FLAVORFUL – The soup is filled to the brim with healthy vegetables, shredded chicken, and egg noodles. With so many textures and flavors, it truly is delicious.
- FILLING – Egg noodles are filling and shredded chicken provides lots of protein leaving you feeling full and satisfied.
- EASY – Just dump all the ingredients in a pot and let it simmer, it couldn’t be easier!
With this easy and delicious recipe, you can take raw chicken and make homemade chicken soup in no time. It’s perfect for a cold winter day or when you’re feeling under the weather. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken.
This homemade chicken noodle soup is a classic comfort food that is perfect for any time of the year. Here are the essential ingredients that you’ll need to make a delicious pot of soup:
CHICKEN – The star of the show is, of course, the chicken. You can use a whole chicken or chicken parts, such as chicken thighs or breasts. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken for a leaner option. Aim for about 1 pound of chicken for every 4 cups of broth.
EGG NOODLES – Traditionally, egg noodles are used, but you can use any type of regular noodles. Some popular options include fusilli, rotini, or even spaghetti broken into small pieces.
CARROTS – This recipe uses 2 medium carrots, chopped into bite-size pieces.
CELERY – You’ll need two celery sticks, chopped small.
ONION – 1 cup of diced yellow onion is sauteed with the vegetables.
BROTH – You can use store-bought broth or homemade chicken stock. You can also use vegetable broth.
SPICES – Spices and herbs add depth of flavor to the soup. For this recipe, you’ll need, dried thyme, dried parsley, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
With these essential ingredients, you’ll be able to make a delicious pot of chicken soup that is sure to warm you up and satisfy your taste buds.
MORE VEGGIES – You can also add other vegetables, such as mushrooms or green beans, for extra flavor and texture.
CREAMY – add heavy cream, sour cream, or cream cheese.
SPICY – You can add different types of peppers like jalapenos, serranos, or habaneros to the soup to make it spicy. You can also use different types of spices like cumin, chili powder, paprika or a pinch of red pepper flakes to add more flavor to the soup. Some recipes also add hot sauce or sriracha to the soup to make it fierier.
VEGETARIAN – Instead of chicken, you can use different types of vegetables like mushrooms, tofu, or tempeh to add protein to the soup. You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make the soup vegetarian.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
- PREP – chop the onion, slice the carrots and celery, and mince the garlic.
- SAUTE – In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
- BOIL – Add broth, dried thyme, dried parsley, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil then reduce to let simmer until the veggies are soft when poked with a fork.
- EGG NOODLES – Add the egg noodles and cook until they soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- CHICKEN – Add the cooked shredded chicken to the pot and heat for about 1-2 minutes.
- SERVE – Remove the bay leaf from the pot, drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
COOK CHICKEN: Start by cooking the chicken breast. You can either bake, boil or poach the chicken breast until it’s fully cooked. Once it’s cooked, shred the cooked chicken, and set it aside.
How To Store Leftovers
Whether you have a big batch that you want to save for later or just a small portion that you didn’t finish, it’s important to store it properly to ensure that it stays fresh and delicious. Here are some tips for storing your chicken soup leftovers:
- Let the soup cool down to room temperature before storing it. This will prevent condensation from forming inside the container and potentially spoiling the soup.
- Divide the soup into smaller portions before storing it. This will make it easier to reheat only what you need and prevent waste.
- Use an airtight container to store the soup. Glass or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids are ideal for this purpose. Alternatively, you can use resealable plastic bags, especially if you’re storing in the freezer.
- Label the containers with the date that the soup was made and stored. This will help you keep track of how long it has been in the fridge or freezer.
FRIDGE – If you plan to store it in the refrigerator, leftover soup can last for up to 4 days.
FREEZER – If you want to store it for longer, you can freeze chicken noodle soup for up to 3 months. Just remember to thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating it.
Here are some easy recipe and tips to help you make the best chicken soup:
- ROTISSERIE CHICKEN – Save yourself some time and buy a store-bought rotisserie chicken. These are pre-cooked and can easily be shredded with two forks.
- LOAD UP ON VEGGIES – Use a variety of vegetables to add flavor and nutrition to your soup. Carrots, celery, onions, and garlic are classic choices, but you can also add mushrooms, leeks, or parsnips.
- USE EGG NOODLES – These tend to cook the easiest in this type of soup. If using a different style of pasta noodles, you might want to cook noodles separately and then add the cooked noodles to the soup pot.
- USE FRESH HERBS WHEN POSSIBLE – Season your soup with fresh herbs like fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, or chopped parsley. These herbs add a bright, fresh flavor to the soup.
- HOMEMADE STOCK – It’s not required, but using homemade stock will create the best flavor as we did with our turkey carcass soup. It’s easy to make and adds a depth of flavor that store-bought broth can’t match.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken noodle soup typically contains chicken broth, chicken, noodles, carrots, celery, onions, and seasonings. However, the exact ingredients can vary depending on the recipe or brand. Some variations may include additional vegetables like peas or potatoes, while others may use different types of noodles.
Chicken noodle soup can be a healthy and nutritious meal. It’s a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals. However, the nutritional content can vary depending on the recipe or brand. Some canned soups may be high in sodium, so it’s important to check the label and choose a low-sodium option if possible. Homemade soup can also be a healthier option as you can control the ingredients and seasoning.
What To Serve It With
Chicken noodle soup is such a great recipe for classic comfort food that is perfect for any time of the year. It’s warm, hearty, and delicious. But what should you serve with it? Here are some ideas:
- CRUSTY BREAD – A warm, crusty bread is the perfect accompaniment to chicken noodle soup. Our dutch oven bread is great for dipping and sopping up all the delicious broth.
- SALAD – A light, fresh salad is a great way to balance out the richness of the soup. Try a simple green salad with a vinaigrette dressing.
- CRACKERS – If you’re looking for a quick and easy option, crackers are a great choice. Saltines or oyster crackers are classic options.
- VEGGIES – Add some veggies to your meal with a side of roasted or steamed vegetables. Carrots, green beans, and broccoli are all great options.
Overall, chicken noodle soup is a comforting and delicious meal that can be enjoyed by many. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy meal or a homemade recipe to warm up after a chilly day, this soup will be the perfect fit.
More Soup Recipes
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Rutabaga Carrot Soup
- Bacon Squash Soup
- Tomato Pasta Soup
- Onion Garlic Tomato Soup
- Turmeric Ginger Carrot Soup
- Carrot Tomato Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 carrots - peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks - chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 8 cups chicken broth - about 2 cartons
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken - cooked shredded chicken breasts or store-bought rotisserie chicken
- ½ freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add the onion, carrot, minced garlic and celery over medium high heat with a bit of cooking oil. Cook until onion turns translucet.
- Add in the chicken broth, dried thyme, dried parsely, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to let simmer until the carrots are tender when pricked with a fork.
- Add in the egg noodles. Let simmer until they're cooked al dente.
- Add the cooked shredded chicken. Squeeze the juice from half of a lemon and stir in (optional step).
- Remove bay leaves, and scoop bows. Serve and enjoy!